Featured Flapper length glass (?) necklace, coral colored.

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Lucille.b, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Not thinking coral, I think this is glass made to look like angel skin coral possibly. Glass seems hand done, no two beads exactly the same, most have this faint striping. I always associate those tiny barrel clasps with a bit older. Any thoughts on this?

peachex5.jpg peach3.jpg peach4.jpg peach4b.jpg peach5.jpg

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I think you are correct.
    Glass not coral, you can see bubbles
    upload_2019-11-6_10-27-19.png

These could be 1920s-30s or they could be 1950s.
    I'm thinking the earlier ones wouldn't have had a clasp. You don't need one. However, some of the long necklaces I got from my mother that she had in the 40s and 50s have snap clasps.

Figtree3, judy, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'd think 1930s Czech.

4. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I always have gotten nicer vintage glass when each link is connected by metal loop. Have had both 30s/50s pieces, but have to say this is a longer one. Must have been when labor was cheap to link every single bead (over 100) with its own link for what probably wasn't a very expensive necklace when new. The clasp is one of those super narrow small screw type barrel clasps.

Was thinking glass -- that's a confirmation. Do you think trying to mimic coral, or just a coincidence?

5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Agree. Has the color of coral, but the way it is distributed as swirls going all around some of the beads is not consistent. For comparison:

Ceres front (2).JPG

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is gorgeous, Lucille. And I agree with 1930s Czech, maybe even a bit older.
    Yes it is. Bohemians/Czechs have been making quality gemstone glass for a long time now.

7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

It's lovely, @Lucille.b -- thanks for sharing this!

Bronwen, Lucille.b and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted