Flat Woven Item, Native American or Asian?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by NewEngland, Oct 19, 2023.

1. NewEngland

NewEngland Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

This is a flat coil woven item that measures 12" across and is about 1/8" thick. It came with a few Asian items, so at first I thought it was Chinese or Vietnamese, but I'm wondering if it's Native American. Thanks for any help you can offer.

roundflatwomenthingaresized.jpg roundflatwoventhingab-1resized.jpg

Any Jewelry and pearlsnblume like this.
  2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

3. NewEngland

Similar design, but this is completely flat, not a bowl or basket. It appears very old. Thanks!

pearlsnblume likes this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

likely an african lid....for a grain basket.

5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Just out of curiosity, can that area of damage be fixed???? It's lovely, what ever it IS!!!!

NewEngland likes this.
  6. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Those Tanzanian baskets are lovely,and do have an NA feel from a distance if someone were going for a SW look.

NewEngland likes this.
  7. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Agreed. I would also think ‘lid’

8. komokwa

Fixed?
    Not in any way I know of !

A broken basket , will always be a broken basket.

( ok...some repairs ...on certain baskets....are possible.....but only to stabilize them..)

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Beautifully subtle design, very pleasing to the eye. And another vote for lid.

Potteryplease and NewEngland like this.
  10. NewEngland

Thanks everyone!

11. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I was just doing some research on Nantucket Baskets the other day. A dealer claimed to also do repairs on baskets customers bring in. I hadn’t really thought of baskets as something that could be repaired before. Maybe they do more of what you said and stabilize wounds though.

12. komokwa

[​IMG]

Nantucket basketry is an American icon and a big part of the Northeast Nautical basket making history..

It would not surprise me that a current basket maker could affect repairs on such works......depending on the nature of the damage...

NewEngland, Any Jewelry and J Dagger like this.
  13. J Dagger

It’s a neat cottage industry! What a great display in your photo. Yours or just an online example? I purchased a nice enough repro at auction around a year or so ago and it started my fascination with them a bit. I did pull the trigger on a lidded friendship “purse” basket a while back. It has a nice “white stufff” whale on the top. I’m not totally positive of it’s authenticity but I think it has a good chance. Does seem that like anything else worth having the markets is flooded with Chinese and other fakes/repros. Turns out that owners would put their names inside the lids traditionally. Mine has an odd personalization under the lid so that is a good sign I think. Fakes I’ve seen so far are signed on the bottom of the basket sometimes but don’t have an owners name under the lid.

They certainly do have a strong collectors market.

NewEngland, komokwa and Potteryplease like this.
  14. komokwa

nah, not mine..... I wish it were......but $$$$$$$$$...... for a good one & I have yet to come across the one I'd want at the price I'd pay !!:(

J Dagger likes this.
  15. komokwa

one of the few instances where the baskets were made by men !!

J Dagger likes this.
  16. J Dagger

Finding a real good one at a bargain would be tall task indeed.

Potteryplease and komokwa like this.
  17. J Dagger

Good point. Men at sea or out in the sea will make just about anything they already have the materials for it turns out. Interesting that the governments that were paying the lightship men eventually decided they didn’t want the men moonlighting and banned them from making baskets. When production moved onshore the fairer sex got their hands in the game it seems.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2023
    komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted