Featured Flemish heart with French mark?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Dessert58, Jan 19, 2023.

1. Dessert58

Dessert58 Well-Known Member

342FC725-0379-462F-8F9D-23417176C215.jpeg
    421C193D-9AC2-4C3E-A22A-319846EDDD8E.jpeg
    63AA5230-D75A-4C80-9423-7A9F56288439.jpeg
    1D2BA217-759F-4217-9D37-9CC2693D9F30.jpeg A61C951C-3DF8-4231-ABBE-A0F60787691C.jpeg B91126CA-7C7D-4880-9CC9-0563B467E925.jpeg E69501BE-7EF2-42A3-9143-86B6E3BCBC50.jpeg I have been on the lookout for another Flemish heart (of Vlaams Hart) for a while. These jewels are typical for the region where I live(Flanders and the North of France) and they were made and worn throughout the 19th century.
    Sometimes an early 18th century example turns up but nobody really knows what the origins of these jewels are.

These hearts were supposed to be given by the children to their mother on Mother's day (15th of August in Antwerp or the 14th of May in the rest of the world)

Two different types exist: ones with a crown of flowers and twigs on top, like the one I can show you here, and ones with an arrow and quiver on top (fiery love).

They always have some moving parts: the top, the middle part and heart all move.

The middle part is said to depict the virgin Mary, surrounded by her 10 virtues (purity, wisdom, humility, faith, devotion, obedience, poverty, patience, mercy and compassion).

These hearts were usually made in silver and sometimes had a gold plated back as not to blacken clothes. The stones are rose cut diamonds or diamond chips (senailles), backed with silver foil and set in closed settings.

Normally this one would have had a ring on top on which you could hang the pendant on a black ribbon or a chain.

This one has had a rough life. It has a few tiny senailles missing and it has had a few (bad) repairs and for the moment its impossible to wear it because it also misses a needle to the brooch part or a loop to hang it. So I got it for a good price.
    It was sent to me from France.

I have actually found the silversmith who made this heart:

The 'C' stands for Henricus Franciscus Coetermans, Antwerp, and he was active as a silversmith between 1821-1863.

But the other mark is a mystery for me.

To me, it looks like the French crab (800 silver for the French departements from 1838-1973).

How could that be possible? Its a typical Flemish jewelry piece and it was made by this Flemish silversmith in Antwerp.

I would suppose there would have to be an import mark for France?
    Is it actually the French crab or is it something else?

Thank you very much for your opinions!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2023
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It has had a life, but it is still gorgeous.:happy:
    I'm sure you can find a way to make it wearable. Otherwise it will look beautiful in a display case.
    Wonderful that you found the maker!
    Maria Hemelvaart (of Maria Tenhemelopneming).;)
    I'm not sure it is, I see something else but I don't recognize the mark.

3. Dessert58

Any Jewelry, thanks for your reply.
    Indeed, Maria Hemelvaart.
    The crab could be something else, but once I saw it I could not unsee the crab :rolleyes:
    On the short term I plan on simply attaching a brooch- needle. That is fairly easy to do.
    On the long term I will try to find a jeweler I trust enough to replace the missing senailles and attaching a ring on the top.

4. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Your collection of Flemish hearts is growing:joyful:

I see the outlining of the crab too:facepalm: some hallmarks can be in total mismatch with era or country though.

Waiting for the repair you can use a thin silver chain, passing it in the left upper opening from the front, going on back to the upper right opening and exit to the front.:happy:

Figtree3, Bronwen, johnnycb09 and 2 others like this.
  5. Dessert58

Kyratango, omg, you see the crab too, its not just me! :D
    These hallmarks often stay mysteries to me.
    My collection of Flemish Hearts is complete now! I have enough. (Unless I find one at a fleamarket for 2€...thats totally possible of course) :hilarious:
    Might have to be looking for a Saint Esprit now:rolleyes:

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Collecting never stops.:arghh::hilarious:

mirana, Bronwen, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

and weird stuff never stops cropping up in odd places.

Dessert58 likes this.
  8. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

A beautiful piece. Thank you for writing about it.

kyratango, Any Jewelry and Dessert58 like this.
  9. Satin In A Coffin

Satin In A Coffin Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing this wonderful piece, including explanation. Our collective knowledge is growing! You have a real eye for the good stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted