Featured floral art nouveau style candlesticks - help with with makers mark

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by capitulation, Mar 27, 2019.

1. capitulation

capitulation Active Member

hello,

I recently purchased some candlesticks at a thrift store in the Chicago area. Ive spent several hours trying to determine the stylized mark ("EP") that appears on both of them. They are just shy of 7" tall, weigh 0.625 lb (5/8 lb), and appear to be made from a beige or a tan clay looking on their undersides.

They have exquisite irises on them with gold/green stems that remind me of art nouveau, but thats just a guess. If anyone has ideas on the mark or how I might perform more research to determine more, Im so grateful. I plan to keep these in my collection as it was love at first sight.

Thank you!!

P1150752.jpg P1150749.jpg P1150746.jpg P1150750.jpg

cxgirl, Ghopper1924, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

First these are probably studio artist candlesticks. Tracking down the artist is often difficult for studio work.

Second, I'm sorry there is nothing remotely similar to art nouveau about these.

They are attractive, and I can see why you like them.

Others may have more info than me.

cxgirl, scoutshouse and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. capitulation

Thanks for your quick response. Not at all surprised to be wrong about art nouveau, that was a bad guess purely based on the floral theme (clearly out of my element here). I was thinking they might be studio work too but wasnt sure. Well if anyone has any other tips on the materials or technique that might suggest a studio or maybe a guess as to an age of the candlesticks Im all ears. thanks again!

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Nice Kitty Cap....is he yours ?

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Flag irises. Mark looks like EP, so are there any local art potters with that name?

Bronwen and Ghopper1924 like this.
  6. capitulation

ah..I didnt know they were called 'flag irises', thank you for that. At this point Im just trying to get a feel for the age of them - they strike me as at least 30-40 years old (just a gut feeling, and going by the mark). They have a few flea bites and dont strike me as modern at all.

As clutteredcloset49 mentioned, theres a good probability they are the work of a studio artist. Given that this area was/is the home of the Northwest Terra Cotta Company, the American Terra Cotta company, Teco pottery, the Prairie School style architecture, and the Art Institute of Chicago one can only imagine how many local artisans were here throughout the 20th century with the skills to make these. Perhaps inquiring with local pottery experts would be best, and maybe they could identify if the clay is local or not. If nothing else, a great inspiration to continue picking!

Thanks again

Bronwen and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

No, they aren't art nouveau but they do look art nouveau influenced. Can see why that descriptor would spring to mind.

Debora

Bronwen likes this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Especially as those irises are a common Art Nouveau motif.

Bronwen likes this.
  9. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Lovely. I'd give them house room any day!.

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted