floundering dating antique Wedgwood plate

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by capitulation, Dec 7, 2020.

1. capitulation

capitulation Active Member

Hello kind souls,

Im a sucker for antique plates and picked this old Wedgwood plate up this evening but am having a little trouble finding any exactly like it online. I believe the number says A2574 to the left of 'Copyright Depose'. Just trying to get a date on this beauty.

Seems to be a couple of pheasants on it. Ive found similar, but none just like this.

Thanks for any help in the way of resources, etc.

P1230788 2.jpeg

P1230787.jpeg

i need help likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I found one via Google that claims 1885 pattern. Unfortunately I was unable to copy it here.

judy and i need help like this.
  3. capitulation

thanks for that. If you used specific search words - I could try to find your google image if you pass them along. I did determine this evening that b/c the word 'ENGLAND' does not appear on the plate it must predate 1891. It does have the 'three letter code' at the bottom (the one with the giant 'L' and two other illegible characters) but I cant quite make it out, unfortunately. This three letter code represents the month-potter-year of manufacture in that order. I *think* the last letter is an 'N' (if I hold it in the light just right) which is the year for 1885 date of manufacture, so that supports your finding.

4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

5. Bakersgma

All I searched on was Wedgwood Rustic.

i need help likes this.
  6. Bakersgma

That's the one INH. Correction - Right side 4th row down.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
    i need help likes this.
  7. capitulation

Awesome, got it. It looks like that person was listing the set of 5 for 100 euros, which is consistent with what I thought for value. He/she also listed them on their own site it looks like. http://youmedemblik.nl/Plates-672641/Wedgwood-Etruria-deep-plates/

Thanks to all! I absolutely adore this site and all those who are helpful on it.

8. i need help

I’m sure someone will come along with a proper reference for the date, so check back.

9. Bakersgma

Always happy to help!

Now, we need the cat's name. ;):cat:

i need help likes this.
  10. i need help

I think the display Is different on my cell. :hilarious:

11. Bakersgma

Ah. Yes it would be. :rolleyes:

i need help likes this.
  12. capitulation

Cat is named Icabus but she came from the shelter with that name. I like to think it was some weird combination of 'Succubus' and 'Icarus' but not sure. She is the love of my life and Im so grateful for her.

13. Bakersgma

Draft saved Draft deleted