Fly fishing reels, one vintage, makers?

Discussion in 'Tools' started by rhiwfield, Aug 27, 2015.

1. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

In a mixed auction lot, wondering whether to bid and trying, unsuccessfully, to identify makers and reels. Apologies for photo quality.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

KingofThings likes this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

For fly fishing I think but got nothing else for you.

rhiwfield likes this.
  3. rhiwfield

Its a start :D

KingofThings likes this.
  4. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

5. Jen and George

Jen and George Well-Known Member

How big is it? Could it be an ice fishing reel?

KingofThings likes this.
  6. rhiwfield

No, I think its a trout reel, from memory about 3.5/4 inches diameter. Like a fool I didn't examine this lot closely enough and thought photos would be sufficient to research when I got back home. Only excuse is that there were another 400 lots to check out :(

KingofThings likes this.
  7. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

If you are searching for a Hardy reel, that may be the problem.

The label on the reel is a reference to the line used, not necessarily the reel itself. It "translates" as: Hardy brand line; tapered, with weight forward (WF); 6 pound test; floating line (used in dry fly fishing.)

The logo in the center of the reel is not the standard Hardy logo (which is a stylized fishing fly inside a castle tower) so this might not have been made by Hardy. The company makes lines as well as rods and reels and fishing accessories.

It might be another version of an early logo, or may be by another company entirely. But that "S" inside the crest or shield is going to be the key to identifying the reel itself.

rhiwfield and KingofThings like this.
  8. rhiwfield

Just to clarify my initial post, there are two reels, both approx same size. The out of focus S logo reel has cross head bolts so i'm thinking this is the relatively modern reel. The other reel looks to be quite old, and we wondered initially whether this was a Hardy reel but it has no distinguishing marks other than the later applied line label so it could be any maker. We looked at the bolt placements but that hasnt helped so far.

KingofThings likes this.
  9. rhiwfield

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted