Featured Focus groups, antiques, and an experiment

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by afantiques, Aug 20, 2016.

1. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I don't have the money to do this, and I am pretty sure no-one who does have the money would be interested.

However, I'd like to take two empty, typical 2 or 3 bedroom houses that a first time buyer might buy and fill one with used furniture and appliances bought at auction and the other with entirely brand new stuff bought in the shops.

I'm not talking about ratty old junk for the used house, the supply of well made and durable furniture in good condition is ample, as are perfectly serviceable household appliances just a couple of years old. I think apart from food and bathroom smellies, everything could be bought to furnish a house ready to move in and use.

I have had a fair bit to do with local auctions that sell run of the mill hosehold items, not the better quality antique stuff I have been used to viewing and buying. I think for about £1000 (about $1400 equivalent) I could furnish a house from carpets to cutlery.

Then I'd buy all the same type of items brand new and furnish the other house, not expecting any change from £10,000.

The point of the experiment is to then recruit a focus group of 20 to 30 year olds, the nest building age nowadays, and run them through both houses. I'd then ask them which they prefer and why before revealing that one cost 10 times or more the other, and then re-question them. I'd also try it with different socio-economic sample groups and groups that know the price difference before being questioned, the usual market research spread.

What I want to establish is why people who are typically strapped for money don't seem inclined (and this is just my impression ) to take advantage of all the great stuff they could get for peanuts, and show the antique and used trade how to focus advertising to meet the concerns of potential buyers. Maybe it is not aversion, just ignorance of what is easily available.

I suppose the whole thing could be done as some kind of 'reality' TV programme, front it with some presenter the bantlings consider 'cool' and probably galvanise the market that way.

Ghopper1924, Figtree3, cxgirl and 7 others like this.
  2. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

I'd make it a contest for couples to furnish a house with a stated inventory over a period of 30 days.

Each given £10,000, contestants have to complete inventory but don't have to spend all the money as they will get to keep unspent if their house is judged the best furnished

1st couple has to furnish a house buying at auctions.
    2nd couple has to furnish buying from high street stores.

Then the focus group couples tour the houses and a verdict is given, not forgetting the obligatory 3 second pause when the compere announces "and the winner is..............."

Cue tears of joy, tears of anguish and general bitchiness!!

3. afantiques

Way to take it and run with it, baby!

Work up a treatment and have your people call my people!

Seriously, it's as good as most of the other crap out there.

How about Tim Wonnacot for the old stuff and Jeremy Clarkson for the new stuff. They are both unemployed! And maybe they could be encouraged to fight, great televison!

I wonder if any members have any experience pitching TV programmes?

And how about Celebrity Couples? There must be dozens panting for a few quid!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
    kentworld, Lucille.b, cxgirl and 5 others like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I think it's a superb idea. I'd actually extend it: using Freegle, Freecycle or whatever, how much of a house can you furnish for free?

The only new things we had when we married were the bed, the fridge, cooker and washing machine.

5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

While I understand the question I think the thing you leave out is style. Sometimes the quality of an items doesn't equate to what people are looking for in current style.

I am not good at design when it comes to arranging/displaying furnishings. I appreciate those who are. Cheap can look good, fine quality can look bad when not done well.

6. afantiques

How concerned is the new homebuyer in the street with style? How quickly would they get tired of this year's version?
    All the home makeover shows are very 'stylish' but is that only to provide employment for otherwise useless relatives who call themselves stylists?

Do people really care as long as it looks tidy and works?

Lucille.b and yourturntoloveit like this.
  7. say_it_slowly

Having three daughters from 24-32, all who have appreciation for antiques, I would say they place much more emphasis on style than anything else.

8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Now, THAT'S a show I would LOVE to watch!!! When we got married some 49 years ago, nothing was new, except the shower presents!!!! Mostly linens!! Mom's "secondary" antiques!! Not a complaint at all!! But that could be a GREAT show!!!!

Lucille.b and cxgirl like this.
  9. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I LOVE the premise ! Im with SIS though , none of my nieces and nephews ,2 of whom just got married , are the least bit interested in " Used " stuff . Lord knows Ive tried to gift ( unload ) some of my excess on them ! I know there are youngsters that like older stuff , one of my favorite shops always has a healthy dose of millennials browsing , but at least in my family , they all are like " Ewwww" !

10. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Great idea for a show.

I might have an answer.
    We have moved away from self sufficiency, fixing and re using what we have. Young people (20-30s) have been the victims of marketing. Go out and buy new. If it breaks go buy a new one, don't fix it. In many cases they can't fix it.

Over and over, they are at the mercy of what is new and fashionable. They aren't trending if they do not have the latest and greatest.

They haven't been exposed to the quality of older items.
    Particularly furniture.

Lucille.b and cxgirl like this.
  11. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

To a large extent you are talking about interior design. It's not simply a question of whether the stuff is new or used, it's also a question of co-ordination and presentation.

cxgirl and say_it_slowly like this.
  12. say_it_slowly

I too would like to see a show based on this premise, it would be fun!

In a little defense of my kids, they all have varying amounts second hand items and at least a few things from antique to MCM and vintage in nature. (some of which came from items I found;))

Part of the issue is time. They all work and have busy lives so haunting thrifts, auctions etc are things they can do infrequently so if they need something they often go to where they know they'll find something they like and buy new.

cxgirl likes this.
  13. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Would make an interesting T.V. show to be sure, and poses some interesting questions.

Just went through this with D, she is completely open to hunting out used items to furnish a place (she's watched me do it successfully for years) but in the end the last few things we couldn't find either at GW or Craigslist, were purchased at Target. Target definitely markets to the college age crowd, with trendy looking furnishings, not too expensive. It helps that we are in a town with a GW that has nicer things and a very quick turnover so checking back a few times, we got some really great stuff. It does come down to time. Working and school, sometimes Target/IKEA is just faster. When I lived in PA, the thrifts were the same, day after day, almost no turnover. In a location like that it would take forever to try to buy used.

But have to agree, STYLE was paramount. There was a "look" in mind, no negotiations on that.

cxgirl likes this.
  14. TheOLdGuy

TheOLdGuy Well-Known Member

Fantastic idea. Unfortunately doomed before it starts, in my opinion.

The generation Y /millenniums, now in their 20s, 30s, are too mixed to categorize into any one group. I believe you will find too many personalities with a very wide range of preferences and tastes to narrow it down to what is best for all.

Let's choose the current members of antiquers.com whom we could fit into the 20 to 40 age groups. All obviously have an interest in "old things," but how many of them would prefer a 1950 Eames lamp - http://www.ebay.com/itm/322227177407?rmvSB=true currently in the $25 range versus a Pacific Coast Oak Vine Table Lamp at Macys Sale $299.91 Reg. $429.00. Price will probably make the decision.

BASICALLY I'm saying what's eye catching, very pleasing and appealing to Jill is something Molly will walk past without a second look. Bob loves Chippendale; Mary says NO WAY, American Centennial only. And Mike and Molly won't look at anything but Hepplewhite.

AF. you like antiques and enjoy furnishing your house with them. You also like Queen Anne Style houses. I really also love those. Beautiful........... but I prefer to live in a Frank LLoyd Wright house which I will decorate with many antique items.

Sorry, but as a Real Estate Broker since 1961 I encountered hordes of home buyers who were very clear and precise with what style they wanted. And I listened to their comments on many houses AND the contents, but I quickly learned to sell them what they really wanted, even though it was usually between 75 and 99.9% opposite their initial preference. No mistaking when brought to just the right house. Their eyes lit up and the check book was out quickly. That is the reason I luvved, loved, really really enjoyed making a living by making others happy.

Life stays interesting because our wants, tastes, desires, change slowly but more frequently than we anticipated.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
    cxgirl, Lucille.b and say_it_slowly like this.
  15. popsycat

popsycat Well-Known Member

What you have to do is work it all out. You then find out the person you have to pitch your show to in the BBC. If they are impressed and want to give it a go, they will give you a lump sum to make a pilot. (maybe £30,000. This is the sum a friend of mine got) If they air the pilot and it is a success, then you are on your way as they will fund more shows and you will receive a lot more money. Good luck if you go down that road.

quirkygirl likes this.
  16. say_it_slowly

Sounds like a fun project AF:)

17. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Sounds like the next big TV show here in America. And the house furnished from auctions sounds like my house, although I have never been to an auction, just yard sales, estate sales, flea markets, etc. I bought two couches with matching recliners, both sets were defective, had to go to the state attorney general to get $2,500 back. I should have never gotten rid of my 18 year-old set. I learned furniture now is pretty much junk, and I have my carved oak post-WWII couch I got for $300 at half-price day at an estate sale near Cape May. I would go with the auction house!

say_it_slowly likes this.
  18. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Marko,
    The only thing new (bought retail) was the refrigerator and microwave. The newest thing in the house is a 60 year old sofabed. Excuse me, I forgot the mattress which is 10 years old.
    My kitchen set was made in 1935. The most comfortable chair in the house was made in 1870. I used to fight the cats to be able to sit on it.
    greg

Marko and say_it_slowly like this.
  19. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

We do buy appliances new....

20. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Our Habitat for Humanity has a couch I am in love with, but not cat-friendly.

Draft saved Draft deleted