Featured Foil Like Plastic?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by RachelW, Aug 16, 2021.

1. RachelW

RachelW Well-Known Member

Hello all! I'm posting today to get a consensus on this necklace I picked up yesterday. I bought it because I've never seen plastic like this before, it almost has a crumpled foil look to it. I tried to determine what kind of plastic it is but I'm unfamiliar with it so I thought perhaps this forum would have a better inkling then I!

It wieghs 39.71 grams and measures 57cm (22'') from end to end. The color is true to the pictures, an icy or light sky blue. The beads are a little transluscent, not hollow and in perfect condition as far as I can tell, with no cracks or scratches. Are they molded? They are most definitely plastic, they're light weight and room temperature, with a typical plastic sound when clinked together. My amateur research on barrel clasps points to this not being modern but I'm not sure. No marks or anything. The inside of the clasp and some spots on the chain have some grey blue patina like that found on copper.

What kind of plastic is this and does this technique have a name? And what sort of date can we put on it? It might be helpful to mention that I am in rural France so this is most definitely European.

Thanks for reading I appreciate it!

IMG_0332.JPG IMG_0333.JPG IMG_0334.JPG IMG_0335.JPG

2. Tahmoor girl

Tahmoor girl Active Member

3. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

@Tahmoor girl Did you miss the part where RachelW said they AREN'T glass.

4. MmePlantier

MmePlantier Active Member

Could it be some kind of clear lucite? I've found this listing, for exemple, which shows similar beads - albeit those seem to be newer, from the 1980s.

Edit : And these, from the 1950s.
    Finally, these Art Deco beads, which are more regular but show similarities.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
    LauraGarnet02, judy, RachelW and 3 others like this.
  5. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Must be acrylic or lucite! Super mid century!

LauraGarnet02, judy and RachelW like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I would guess the clasp is Art Deco period or so, but someone else could have a better idea of the age.
    It is best to clean the verdigris off, or it will damage the screw thread. A q-tip with some oil should do the job.

7. CatEyes

CatEyes Member

Don't know but pretty cool!

8. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Wow. I'm a big bead hound (in U.S.) and have never seen similar, maybe because they are a French style? I would say positively older, thinking 1950s, plus or minus. Dating the clasp and the fact that the beads are individually hand connected with a wire loops. That's more work than just stringing them all on a string and you wouldn't see that nowadays for a costume piece.

Realize these are plastic, but whenever I have a vintage glass necklace separated with those individual wire loops it has always been found with nicer glass beads. So I think it points to a slightly better costume necklace. Can't help with the bead name, perhaps others will have ideas, or maybe a style that never took off? They are really cool looking.

9. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

I don't know why my previous message said acrylic or glass.....I thought I typed lucite! Need more coffee! I think they are really cool!

10. Tahmoor girl

Probably. I just skim through these the posts here and do my best to answer people.

LauraGarnet02, RachelW and laura9797 like this.
  11. Tahmoor girl

I skim through message boards so I can view the most posts before I go to bed. New South Walse, Australia, has been in strict lockdown. No one can leave their house unless it's to buy food or for essential reasons and you have to wear a mask.

We're expecting the case numbers to start going down but they are going up because infectious people keep breaking the rules. Yesterday a Covid 19 positive man was fined for leaving his home because "he needed exercise and fresh air". The police were waiting for him when he got home and now he has to pay a heavy fine (they do random spot checks on Positive people who are supposed to isolate.

RachelW likes this.
  12. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

You know, you can reply to a post without giving an answer to the OP's question.
    You can comment, ask for clarification, etc.

13. Tahmoor girl

Sometimes I do. Sometimes I spend a lot of time searching for a similar item and can't do it, so I don't say anything and leave it up to experts. I am learning how to spot worthy things as I go.

When lockdown ends and I go back to volunteering in 'LifeLine Tahmoor', I'll know a bit more about what I am disinfecting. I used to completely ignored the costume jewellery as it came in, but now I'll look closer. I sometimes went to neighbouring opshops too. There's a good one in Picton that I've grabbed a lot of silverware from.

RachelW likes this.
  14. Tahmoor girl

Tahmoor is part of the Wollondilly Shire and is a semi-rural town just outside of the Greater-Sydney area. A lot of people move here when they retire and donate things they've held onto for ages.

RachelW likes this.
  15. RachelW

Thank you all for your replies! I'm over the moon I found something nice at last :hilarious: It will certainly look nice over a turtleneck this winter. I appreciate all the information here, I do agree they look very similar to those lucite beads @MmePlantier. I will arm myself with a Qtip and get to work on that clasp, thank you @Any Jewelry! @Lucille.b thank you so much for your insight, if I find a positive ID on the beads I'll let you all know! :D

KSW, Any Jewelry, judy and 1 other person like this.
  16. RachelW

Just made a few searches and came across this bead on an extender. The seller listed the necklace as 50s molded blue lucite.
    [​IMG]

This 80s necklace seems to have the same type of bead and is again described as blue molded lucite!

[​IMG]

17. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is also on metal wire, like your necklace.

KSW, LauraGarnet02 and RachelW like this.
  18. RachelW

Indeed it is! Good eye, I didn't catch that. :D

KSW, LauraGarnet02 and Any Jewelry like this.
  19. MmePlantier

MmePlantier Active Member

I have found this necklace's twin!
    And according to the listing, we were right about the era, mid-century.

KSW, RachelW and Any Jewelry like this.
  20. RachelW

Wow thats right on the money! How lovely that one is too, would be fun to have the pair. :D Thanks for posting!

KSW, Any Jewelry and MmePlantier like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted