Featured Food Storage or Pickling Jar / Crock?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Rastella, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Rastella

Rastella Everything is figureoutable.

Just to clarify, "who knew" was said in jest. I know that I am new here and many of the little "tidbits' I may mention will already be known by others so feel free to ignore them. I've done a lot of research in my lifetime and I'm very thorough. I enjoy the path just as much as I enjoy the findings. :)

judy likes this.
  2. buyingtime777

buyingtime777 Well-Known Member

It has been a long day here and I have had no time to do any serious searching on the subject of your jar but taking a fresh look at the pictures just now and reading the new posts I realize it strikes me as odd that the X on the bottom looks so fresh and clean.

I can't imagine why anyone would scratch that in somewhat recently but if done towards the beginning of it's life it would seem that it would have discolored at an even rate with the rest of the bottom, maybe even more so since grime could be trapped in the crevice of the X.

Just a tired mind wandering but it does look very fresh to me.

judy likes this.
  3. Rastella

Yes, I see what you mean from the pictures. So I took a close up look at it again with some fresh eyes as well. I honestly think that is my flash working against me. When I look at it from a normal distance in person, my first thought is that it is a more recent scratch so I can only imagine how it looks to people who've only seen it with flash photography. I will try to get some macros of it later. Looking at it through a loupe shows that it is not recent. Do you see those somewhat blackish marks (I'm assuming from the fire)? I can see a couple of very miniscule bits of it embedded on top of the scratch. I think the scratch appears lighter in color because it was done after being removed from the fire and, therefore, doesn't have the "baked" look like the rest of the bottom. As far as dirt getting into it, the scratch really has no depth. Another words, there's really nothing for dirt to get into any more so than the rest of the bottom that is concaved within the outer rim ring. So it's no dirtier or cleaner. That, also, is seen through the loupe. I think the scratch is magnified a lot in these pictures.

That having been said, the idea of the scratch and the missed leaves being related is only that .... an idea.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    judy likes this.
  4. Rastella

Here is a better close up of the scratch. Besides the X, there is another scratch mark. In person, it is not as near as noticeable as the X. I circled the black flecks that embedded themselves into the scratches either in firing or right after firing. It may be that the first scratch mark was made prior to firing which is why it isn't as noticeable and the X was made right after. Also, I took a picture of the vessel in natural lighting. The glaze has an iridescent-esque quality to it.

Green Food Jar 8.jpg

Green Food Jar 7.jpg

5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

We love little tidbits of this type & conversations often wander as we follow them up. My 'who knew' was said in earnest; never knew there was a unit of measure called a hobbit, when I thought I knew hobbits pretty well. :happy:

Rastella likes this.
  6. Rastella

I am certainly in the right place. :) Historical research is fascinating. When I get excited, I love to share. I got cross-eyed looking at all the German measurements. But I'll admit I am an odd bird. When others are scouring the garage sales for marked known treasures (not that I won't pick those up, too), I am scouring for interesting unmarked ones that challenge the scope of my research abilities. I don't look at things as they are now. I focus on what they might have been back then. That's why I picked up that chalkware face. It beckoned me for a challenge and I accepted, lol. That's pretty much how I buy most of my stuff. :)

Bronwen likes this.
  7. Rastella

Good morning, everyone! I need help with the glaze/painting applications on this piece.

1. You can see all of those little imperfections that look like dings? Well, they are smooth - as though they were done when the glaze was hot. So possibly made when it was in the kiln? If so, how?

2. I'm confused about the application process. Was there an overall ivory color "slip" (not sure if right term) before the green? If so, what is that called?

3. Then I'm assuming that the green paint was put on and then the glaze, is that correct?

4. What part of the process caused the iridescent sheen? The kiln? The paint? The glaze? If it was a fire kiln, I know that was a long process. The vessel seems to indicate that it was because of the dings on the glaze and the overall green being darker in some areas than others and the look of the bottom.

Thank you for any thoughts and comments you can share with me.

Have a great day!

8. Rastella

I'm getting ready to call it a long day. I quickly stopped by a local antique store where one of the dealers had a decent amount of knowledge on antique pottery. A really nice gentleman. I told him I wanted to know specifically just about the glaze to which he replied, "You can call it majolica." However, the perplexity and intrigue in his face told me he wasn't quite sure what he was looking at. One possibility is that this may have been an experimental piece that wasn't ever intended for sale and perhaps preserved for further evaluation and improvement in whatever technique they were trying to perfect. There were some 19th century potters that were known for pushing the boundaries and experimenting with different glazes.

9. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I would not call this majolica, but the glaze seems similar and possibly similar years. I do think this is a vessel for dried goods up on a shelf. The anomalies in the glaze didn't burst out, so I don't find them a detriment to this piece. :cat::cat:

10. antidiem

Your photos suffice to show there is no lighter undercoating of glaze. It's possible the silica in the surface of the clay wanted to burst out in the firing process but failed to exit the surface, causing a small bubblet of air in which the silica melted. That is my GUESS on what the small marks on the surface could be, as you said you cannot feel these as burst marks. And they appear the correct color to be silica. I would still think, however, that some should have a slight feel to them.

I'd never heard of an albarelli, was unaware of the ancient measurements, thanks for sharing your info. I will keep my eyes open for you. I think the "key" to where this was made and when - lies in identification of the clay and the silica marks. The pattern looks more oriental to me than it does German but I believe I read you mentioned it was cut into the clay and not just painted on?

I think the "X" on the bottom is of no consequence and signifies nothing pertinent in this case. Occasionally a potter will mark a piece for reasons of kiln placement or to indicate a special treatment of some sort. This is, by far, not a "seconds" piece.

11. antidiem

Of course! :cat:

Welcome to the boards. You remind me of an artist member friend who used to post here often and I miss her posts. Thanks for being thorough. I hope I haven't misunderstood or misquoted you too badly. :kiss::pigeon::cat:

Rastella likes this.
  12. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Did anyone suggest at least sending an image to @CrockerFarm.com
    They MIGHT have some input for you in your search.....

Rastella likes this.
  13. Rastella

Thank you for the warm welcome! You absolutely have not, lol. Being new, I'm the one that needs to adjust to everyone's personalities. Everyone has been so wonderful and helpful! I am thoroughly enjoying these boards!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    komokwa likes this.
  14. Rastella

I did yesterday. They did not recognize it! I think I have the era right (or close) but maybe not the region. Any ideas where to travel from here? Italy? England?

15. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

I had the same one. Kept it for a long time but never fugured it out. I know I posted about it but not sure here or the Ebay.
    I listed it for sale few times but never sold. Last year I donated it to a trift store.

terry5732 likes this.
  16. Rastella

That is very interesting! I wish you'd kept it. I would have loved to compared them. When I am ready, I'm going to broach this subject again soon. Interestingly, while looking at the photos of the older tulip ware (I mean, the really old ones) plus reading about the history and the cultural of the first German settlers in Pennsylvania from completely different sources (some information not readily online) something very peculiar and surprising about the first American tulip wares leapt out and I CAN NOT unsee it. It's now no longer about just my jar. I've got a drive to discover more. :) Keep in mind that the first "serious" writers of tulip ware had to rely on the memories of grown up grandchildren and they did not have the benefit of putting two and two together as we do with the internet. P.S. - Connecting some of the dots came from a small blurb in an old 1962 Majolica paper booklet that I just HAPPENED to have.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    Figtree3 likes this.
  17. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I am getting a Southeast Asian vibe from this. Indonesia or Vietnam possibly. Think it is a vase rather than a storage jar.

18. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Is the interior unglazed? If so, would think this was meant for decoration only and relatively modern.

19. Rastella

Nope! Very nicely glazed inside and out. I guarantee you it is definitely not modern by any means whatsoever. I now have more information but I'm just not ready to share yet (more to do with time). But I've thoroughly enjoyed researching this one!!!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  20. Rastella

I got that vibe, too, briefly. But it is not Indonesia or Vietnam. It is not Asian. It is not a vase. :) Sorry I can't be more clear at this moment but I'm looking to do some fact checking before I go any further with this one. Like I said, this one has been extremely enjoyable to research.

Draft saved Draft deleted