Featured Food Storage or Pickling Jar / Crock?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Rastella, Feb 4, 2018.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

What’s all the secrecy about?

2. Rastella

Rastella Everything is figureoutable.

Oh, no secrecy at all. Sorry if it appeared that way. It's been a tough couple of weeks (flu, family obligations and catching up at work) but it's finally settling down around here so I can get back to posting what I've been wanting to share. I'll post this weekend.

3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Welcome, @Rastella -- this is the first look I have had at this thread. I know nothing about this topic but just wanted to say that "figureotable" is my new favorite neologism!

Rastella and KentWhirled like this.
  4. Rastella

Hahaha!!! Thank you so much! The weekend has gotten by me but I have tomorrow off. Yahoo, I need it! I just sat down this evening to do some recreational photographing. I took some much better pictures of the jar and I also took some pictures of another little bronze item that I purchased yesterday. I'm going to post that as well on a new thread. If, this evening, I don't get to the nuances that I noticed (I'm snapping some pictures to back up my thoughts) in the tulip ware, I've got all day tomorrow to play, too.

5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Looks like I misspelled "figureoutable" and now it's too late to change it!

Rastella likes this.
  6. Rastella

You just did! :D

Figtree3 likes this.
  7. Rastella

UPDATE AS PROMISED - (so sorry it took this long! Also, I discovered a peculiar nuance in the early "futuristic" tulip ware while looking at certain types of cucumbers - so more to come). Anyway, I spoke with Tony at Crocker Farm again today. They are really nice genuine people! I asked him if "American Majolica" and "German Pennsylvania Sgraffito" went together. He said no, not a normal combination. It would be very rare. I said, "Great, that's the answer I was looking for." I explained that my first pictures and information were not adequate in the least bit. I told him I could, indeed, have a rare piece and that I have research and photos to back it up. Like the genuine professional he is, he replied that he would be happy to take a second look and would help in any way he could.

Either way it goes, I know I have a good piece. Whether it is German Pennsylvania sgraffito with an American Majolica glaze remains to be seen. But if it is, I want my friends on here to be the first to know!

Here are the updated photos that I just sent over to Crocker Farm. These pictures and information are just a synopsis of the more extensive research I've done thus far.

GGS 1A - Full View of Vessel.jpg

GGS 2 - Majolica Book Excerpts.jpg

GGS 3 - American Majolica Tin Glaze.jpg

GGS 4 - Colored Blue Tint.jpg

GGS 5 - Comparing Mold Lines.jpg

GGS 6 - Pickle Food Storage Jar Indications.jpg

GGS 7 - Cucumber Flower Blossoms.jpg

I have more leaf comparisons to the German Pennsylvania patterns but just did not include them:
    GGS 8 - Vine Pattern Comparison.jpg

GGS 9 - Peculiar Gap and X on Bottom.jpg

SBSVC likes this.
  8. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

I’ll try to find pictures of the one I use to have but it may take a while,
    Btw, where did tou get yours? If you are in VA area then it may be the same.

Rastella likes this.
  9. Rastella

I'm in Texas. These type of wares often make it here but are overlooked by many. So, there's no telling but wouldn't that be incredible? Several years ago I was in Pennsylvania (ironically) and found an unusual antique Borden milk crate for $10 (Borden is a Texas born brand). Brought it home and then when I moved, it was one of the things I sold. I sold it within one hour of listing it for $65. Crossing my fingers that you find your pictures. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted