Featured Footed glass/crystal bowl - engraved fish - maker?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by aaroncab, May 25, 2019.

1. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Footed bowl - no mold seams - 3 wheel cut/engraved fish around the sides - beautiful blue color - believe this is crystal as it rings out beautifully when struck or rubbed. No mold seams. Unfortunately one small chip on the inside edge of the rim. Anyone know the maker? Not marked - that I can find. About 5 1/2" tall and about 5" in diameter at the widest point.

Once again - thanks for taking the time to look! ( If any of you are in the Facebook Art Glass collectors group - you probably already saw this in there - but I haven't had any luck ID'ing it there - yet :) )

20190523_223544dev.jpg 47924310118_219c65c9d4_odev_1.jpg 47924267968_01a0deb515_odev.jpg 47924270988_b636b7c9b6_kdev.jpg 47924281523_95cdc59190_odev_1.jpg 47924270192_b5c57c5bae_kdev.jpg 20190523_224305dev.jpg 20190523_223632dev.jpg 47924278257_a97e1d4955_odev_1.jpg

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  2. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Whales are mammals not fish.

judy, scoutshouse and Bronwen like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They look like whale sharks to me, in which case they are fish, not mammals.:confused:
    Whatever they are, it is a very pretty bowl. Love the colour and the engraving is good quality.

4. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Neat bowl. But I think the technique is sand carving and the creatures sharks.

cxgirl, judy, scoutshouse and 4 others like this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Pretty bowl, but one wonders why the creator of this design made a bowl with sharks swimming around on it. Wouldn't the subliminal message be don't put your fingers in there? :confused::):)

judy, SBSVC, scoutshouse and 2 others like this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Usual suspects on fishies glass are Orrefors and Graal.

7. aaroncab

Im definitely not an expert... and it's hard to get good pictures... but, examining the carving closely with a loupe I think it looks wheel cut but I will try to get some close up pictures and post them here. Thanks!

cxgirl, judy, scoutshouse and 2 others like this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

BEAUTIFUL bowl!!!!! LOVE the pattern on/in the base as well!! My minimal "OCD" would SO get that chip smoothed out!!!!! Maybe that depends if you're keeping or selling though.....:rolleyes:

cxgirl, judy, scoutshouse and 2 others like this.
  9. aaroncab

As far as if these are fish/whales/sharks ... I started off thinking they were whales - then I thought the fins weren't quite right for whales...starting thinking they looked more like salmon - now I'm back to thinking more whales..or whale sharks, or just sharks. Either way - they're awesome!

cxgirl, judy, Aquitaine and 3 others like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They seem to have the shark overbite, and the broad head of the whale shark. Sharks are actually very beautiful, if you don't mind an overbite.:bucktooth::)

11. aaroncab

Hopefully this helps with seeing the detail in the engraving - I don't know enough to see the difference between a sand carved and wheel carved engraving.

47929555577_48ccc7e2f8_odev.jpg 47929596353_739288895a_odev.jpg

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    judy and scoutshouse like this.
  12. aaroncab

Upon closer inspection, the swimmers have gill lines, and horizontal center lines, so I dont think whales...

cxgirl, KikoBlueEyes and judy like this.
  13. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

They don't really look like sturgeons but could it be a caviar server?
    Don

14. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I agree, the bowl is fabulous whatever they are (I'm in the shark camp):)

aaroncab likes this.
  15. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

They do not look like sturgeonsI have seen. Sturgeaon are bottom feeder and have a sucker mouth facing downward, At least the ones in Lake Winnebago Wi do.

16. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think not sharks, but sperm whales. It's nice.

17. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

Or is this one of those cases where the artist just does a generic/composite animal ???

aaroncab and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  18. aaroncab

Might just be superficial resemblance but doing a bit of searching the only similar looking thing I've found are some Holmegaard bowls by Per Lutken - I think they're called "Provence" bowls, that look similar to the bowl(minus the foot) on mine - none of them engraved but the shape and rim look quite similar - a couple examples:

https://www.selency.co.uk/product/T...-bowl-by-per-lutken-for-holmegaard-1950s.html

https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/d...30bQ3JTb7J__WkWH1EMaAinQEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

19. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Here are the camps I'm in. The gorgeous camp, the shark camp, the wheel cut camp, but not in the Holmegaard camp. Maybe another Scandinavian maker.

aaroncab likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted