For all you furniture lovers

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Elaine Kinsella, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Elaine Kinsella

Elaine Kinsella Active Member

Yep will do I'm away for a couple of days so will when back

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  2. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

I would add that drawers did not come into being until the middle of the 17th century, about 1650. At first they were "side hung" like this american table about 1680. By 1690 they started using dovetails and drawer runners on the bottom like we see today.

side hung1.jpg

Notice the drawer is "side hung" with no dovetails

13686c.jpg

3. Elaine Kinsella

I'm not sure I'm not at home at the moment but I was told it was a late 17th century so your probably right I'll check . That's a beautiful table too such a skill to do that turning by hand

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  4. James Conrad

Just before "side hung" drawers went nite nite forever (about 1690-1700) they looked like this with a single dovetail but still side hung.
    Boston, chest of drawers about 1690

bird chest.jpg

Notice the single dovetail

dovetail.jpg

5. James Conrad

Here is a dealer in England that specializes in 17th century english furniture & earlier, it's all he sells. He has an end of year sale on i think, 1/2 price but getting period 17th century furniture for 70 euros is gonna be hard.
    https://www.marhamchurchantiques.com/

6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

cxgirl and judy like this.
  7. James Conrad

It's a wood "peg" used by joiners and cabinetmakers to make what is called a "drawbore joint" for mortise & tenon joinery in the 17th & 18th centuries.
    If that makes any sense :happy:
    Those wood "pegs" didn't die out until the mid 19th century in america, in england some claim early 20th century before they died out.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  8. Elaine Kinsella

Some beautiful pieces that dealer has and not over priced must show my dad I'm in Ireland cheers for that

9. James Conrad

Yes, Paul runs the shop over there and his stuff is the real deal, not reproductions. He has that 1/2 price thingy every year so he can clear out his stock and buy for the new year.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  10. Elaine Kinsella

That's great trust me not a lot of them have half price sales . Tgey allways have to rotate to make way for new stock my friend that has a shop in kildare and one in wicklow does try to clear out but don't cut the stuff half price trust me lol . Mine is not a reproduction trust me my dad be a bit like yourself mad about furniture his thing is chairs God everywhere I look at home there is chairs and two large shed full of them

Christmasjoy, judy and James Conrad like this.
  11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

fwiw, I suspect Elaine isn't far off on the dating. It's silly what you can buy here for not a lot. I love the fact she like proper auld stuff and not the modern nonsense.

As an aside, I swear I can hear yer da speaking in me head. ;) The dear of him!

12. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thanks for the link James, great stuff! I have a table similar to one on the first page.

Christmasjoy and James Conrad like this.
  13. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Love your bookcase! I agree with you, it drives me crazy that people buy the new stuff for sometimes a lot of money when if they took the time to look around they could get nice, well built pieces that will last for years.:)

14. James Conrad

Which one, there are 4 i think? I didn't know you collected old furniture, i thought you were into jewelry or something.

cxgirl likes this.
  15. James Conrad

Yeah, the key words there are "took the time", most are not willing to invest the time these days which is 1 reason i suspect there is a price depression in old furniture. Dealers need better marketing techniques i would say, the old days are gone. Naturally, as a collector, i am happy about the depression. :happy:

16. James Conrad

It could be, I have been wrong about old furniture photos before and it is english, not my thing at all. Still, from what i see, it just doesn't "appear" to me to be 17th century, the perfectly "flat" surfaces, the absence of riven oak, bla bla bla. Which brings up another reality, you can't authenticate old furniture with pics alone, an in person exam is required.

17. Elaine Kinsella

Ah stop the stuff u can get here is mad there is one auction house me and my dad go to and tgey undervalued so much we got so much that sipped thro their fingers we don't complain tho lol . I've learned so much from my dad he is a world of knowledge . I'm the only one that got the antique bug tho my sister and brother don't. Everything in my house is old it's a modern house but it works

James Conrad likes this.
  18. Elaine Kinsella

I got it sent up to seems of Dublin and a friend of my dad who deals with 17th 18th century both said it is late 17th

19. Elaine Kinsella

I'm the same I don't complain about the decline but it's on its way back up here a bit

20. Elaine Kinsella

Got my dad to check as I'm not home it's single dovetail

Draft saved Draft deleted