For fun, cute artist sampler from 1950 art class, anyone famous?

Discussion in 'Art' started by tyeldom3, Jul 19, 2014.

1. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

Just for fun, I got this cute sampler from the same estate of the map I inquired about earlier. The writing on it:
    "Just a few of the artist that attended Randall in Hartford, CT. during the early 50's with me, Ed. Bagdasarian"
    Anyone famous in here?? ;):kiss::p
    I've tried to search a few of the names I can make out with no luck. Some though I can't make out. As always, thanks!
    DSCN1983.JPG DSCN1988.JPG DSCN1989.JPG DSCN1990.JPG DSCN1991.JPG DSCN1992.JPG DSCN1993.JPG DSCN1994.JPG

2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I'm finding that an R. K. Wilmes was a boatbuilder operating out of East Haddam, CT. Not sure whether he was the same person. And his name was Robert K. Wilmes. He passed away in 2011.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  3. tyeldom3

Wow Fig, that was quick, thank you! You know, I think I saw that name yesterday, but dismissed it because I was searching for artists...:confused:.but that could be, and probably is him. That watercolor is the ship in the top left. Also, I just read his obituary, and it read that he was born in 1925, as was Mr. Bagdasarian. So maybe Randall, in Hartford CT, was a high school? I don't know, I can't find a school by that name, but only did a brief search. Thanks!:kiss:

4. tyeldom3

Oh wait a minute, it can't be a high school. If they were born in 1925, then they'd be 25 years old in 1950, oops , lol.

5. Figtree3

Thanks... I'm just starting to look. I found mention of a Randall School of Dramatic Arts in Hartford (actor Ernest Borgnine went there). I'm not sure if there were other types of arts as well... I did also just find this item mentioning the Randall School in Hartford in 1950: http://www.amazon.com/Original-Lithograph-Randall-School-Hartford/dp/images/B006P928B4

Not sure if it's the same as the dramatic arts school, or a different one.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  6. Figtree3

tyeldom3 likes this.
  7. tyeldom3

What great detective work Fig, thanks again! I lost internet for a while, and haven't been able to search any further. Thank you for all your kind help.:kiss:

8. tyeldom3

Fig, I was doing more digging. Looking at Albertus Jones bio...
    http://www.albertusejones.com/about.html

If I'm reading correctly, it says that Albertus (Bert) established his own art school, The Randall School. So, apparently he owned and taught at that school? I wonder if he taught the students of the works above? He did pass away in 1957. I wonder if he was still teaching in 1950.
    Interesting, and I never would have found that without all your help with searches the other day.
    Thanks again. :happy:

9. Figtree3

Tyeldom, Yes -- that is what it says. I wonder how big the school was at the time. He could have still been teaching in 1950. He would have been about 68 years old, so it is hard to say.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  10. tyeldom3

Thanks Fig, you're so kind and helpful.:kiss:

Draft saved Draft deleted