Featured Foreign mantel clock Made in Wurtemberg - Age? Maker?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by bercrystal, May 3, 2020.

1. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I was hoping someone could help me out with the maker & the age of this clock. It is marked "Foreign" on the face & "Made in Wurtemberg" on the movement.

There is some type of mark above the Wurtemberg mark, but I had no luck finding it on-line. The mark is a clock's face set to 10:35 with 1 horizontal line with 3 vertical lines between 3:00 & 6:00.

The case looks to be possibly an oak. It is 8 1/4" tall & 9 1/2" side to side.

I do not have a key so I am not sure if it works & was planning to sell it for parts or repair, but thought it might help to have the maker's name. I do know it will chime correctly because while I was doing the photos & did not have the weight in place, I started the movement. I did not pay any attention to it till it chimed 3 times while I was inches away scaring the hell out of me. :eek::eek: ;):p:p:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for any & all advice or opinions!! :happy::happy::happy:

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Tis a sweet little clock......not too sure it's more than just that..:confused::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. bercrystal

Like I said, I was just planning to sell it for parts or repair. I have no illusions that it is going to make me much money, but I have zero dollars invested in it so WTH. :D:p

pearlsnblume and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

well, i'd try selling it as is...as a clock first...
    a key should be easy to come by....and it does seem to work !
    It's so , not fussy.....it may have more appeal than you think..:):):)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Those look like chimes on the clock face mark.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. bercrystal

I may have a look around before I list it to see if I have any clock keys hanging around. :happy:

That does make sense. :happy:

I wonder if I can get @afantiques to stop on by. :happy::happy::happy:

7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Anybody try tagging @afantiques or ....brain freeze..... well...1/2....not bad:shy: ARRRGGGHH....sniped!!! Like minds!!:joyful::joyful:

Bronwen, Christmasjoy and bercrystal like this.
  8. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

The hand style indicates 1930s to me.:)

Bronwen and Christmasjoy like this.
  9. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Wurtemberg is in Germany
    Items brought into the US after (I think it's) 1921 had to say "Made in" what ever country.

Many items from Japan and Germany were simply marked foreign between 1891 and 1921, when items had to be marked for import into the US.

So I would say your clock is probably late 19teens to 1921 from Germany.

10. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Most clock keys will fit any clock.
    If by chance you have one.

11. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

could be. but not later than 1933 when the law "Gesetz zur Gleichschaltung der Länder mit dem Reich" synchronized all remaining small kingdoms under the central power in Berlin.
    furthermore there's the problem that many small factories produced parts only and even helped each other out.
    could be an export/import mark from a bigger company like HAC or else,too.

Bronwen likes this.
  12. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The "Foreign" puts it post WW1 into Great Britain, I think.

Bronwen, clutteredcloset49 and Fid like this.
  13. bercrystal

Thanks to everyone!! :happy::happy::happy:

Like I said, I have no illusions of making big money on this clock. It was part of the stuff we brought home from my husband's parents home about 10 to 12 years ago. I "discovered" the totes several months ago in my garage & was surprised because I had forgotten all about them. I finally went through the totes a couple of weeks ago & this was one of the few things I kept to sell. The majority of the stuff is sitting on table lots waiting to be sold at the first auction whenever that happens.

The clock was found stuck up on a closet shelf & my husband had no recollection of ever seeing it in the house. It was likely his grandfather's as they were of German descent, but I don't know if they were born here or were immigrants.

The DH has no attachment to the clock & told me to sell it. I am just going to list it with a low starting bid & see what happens. The case is in pretty good condition so maybe someone can put it all to good use.

14. Bronwen

A cameo that is one of the more valuable in my collection was sold for $30 by the wife of a man who inherited it from his mother. Evidently he had no sentimental attachment, even though it is a portrait of a woman who is probably one of his forebears & is signed by someone who was a gem & medal engraver to the Imperial Court at Berlin in the late 19th century.

komokwa likes this.
  15. bercrystal

I am happy for your good fortune & that cameo is in better hands now. :happy::happy:

As far as this clock, my husband is not a collector. If he was "Jay Leno rich" he would be a car collector. He would have a garage full of American made muscle cars & a fancy Ferrari or 12. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :hilarious:

Also he was never particularly sentimental. His Father was very authoritarian & ruled with an iron hand. He was the oldest & was definitely treated differently than his 2 siblings. The middle child was also a boy but he could never do anything wrong & everything was over looked. The youngest was a girl & the princess who was given everything. I was the first thing he ever defied his parents about. The day we announced our engagement his Father told him to get the ring back or get out. BTW I was standing right there at the time. His Mother never came out of her room.

He told me to go out & wait in the car. He went upstairs to start packing his stuff. I found out years later that his Father followed him into the house & attacked him physically. We ended up loading everything into his Camaro (including his 2 huge guitar amps) & drove away.

So needless to say I have never wanted anything from those people & got very little over the years. They eventually did come around & attended the wedding, but I was never really accepted. I maintain that until she died she was just waiting for me to leave.

SBSVC, komokwa, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  16. Bronwen

17. bercrystal

Well if it had meant anything to any of them I would assume that it would have been out somewhere rather than stuck in a closet & obviously it had been there a long time since my husband did not know anything about it.

As far as the story, it happened 48 years ago & I will admit it bothered me a great deal back then, but I was 19 years old having never experienced anything like that at all. I tried for years to make nice, but something snapped when my own Mother died very suddenly. I decided that life was too short to waste my time on people who really never accepted me into the family. From that time forward I was always gracious if they came to visit, but didn't care one way or another.

Also the clock does have value to someone who repairs clocks, it just doesn't have any value to me.

Bronwen and Fid like this.
  18. Bronwen

I see I goofed up & my previous message got put into the middle of yours. Sell it, by all means. I was just giving it a back story based on my experience with the cameo, not suggesting you should keep it. Your in-laws sound like a wretched bunch. :(

bercrystal likes this.
  19. Gus Tuason

Gus Tuason Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that it's 1920's. The works are fairly common but the case is nice and is Art Deco. Wouldn't be surprised if it worked. Unfortunately, the prices for clocks have bottomed out (I hope) and it would fetch about $90 U.S., if running (maybe?).

Draft saved Draft deleted