Forged items are they tools, fasteners, weapon heads or something else?

Discussion in 'Tools' started by Kevolee, Nov 28, 2022.

1. Kevolee

Kevolee Well-Known Member

Not sure what exactly these are. They appear to be hand forged. Each has one two or three small round indentations on the sides. Each is similarly pinched off at the ends. I don't know if they are some sort of tools, nails or spear heads. The longest is around 6 7/8" and the shortest is 3 1/4" long. Thanks in advance for any help.

f02.JPG fo1.JPG fo7.JPG fo4.JPG fo4.JPG fo6.JPG fo3.JPG

Attached Files:

• fo5.JPG
      fo5.JPG
      File size:
      38.3 KB
      Views:
    Figtree3 likes this.
  2. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Always possible they were class projects for various techniques.

3. JohnnyB

JohnnyB New Member

They kind of remind me of unfinished Wood lathe knives, without the tangs pounded out.

Woutinc, kyratango and Msalicia like this.
  4. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Could be various blacksmith tools (?)

Woutinc and komokwa like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

they look like wedges.....
    and what are those drill holes......markers ??

Woutinc likes this.
  6. Woutinc

Woutinc .wordpress.com

Yeah, wedges.
    Or can't it perhaps be half fabricat (self made?) chissels? Or leathercraft tool? Woodworkers tools? To decorate?
    If my (grand-) pa needed some tool like that but didn't have it, he made it himself. I seldom sometimes, as nowadays higly available tools aren't that expencive anymore.

7. the blacksmith

the blacksmith Well-Known Member

They look to me like silversmiths repousseé tools, used by silversmiths etc. for embossing metal. Most smiths, myself included, make these punches themselves as they are need for a particular workpiece, resulting in a silversmith perhaps having hundreds of such tools acquired over a lifetime. As for the marks, it is usual to mark the face of the tool that will sit against the index finger, thus avoiding costly mistakes if the tool is accidentally used the wrong way round! Similar tools are used for embossing leather, but these would usually not be made from ferrous metal, as this reacts with wet leather and turns it black.

Just a possibility.......

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted