Featured Fostoria Glass Company 'Coin' pattern cake stands

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by TallCakes, Dec 26, 2015.

1. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

okay; one quick shot:
    editIMG_6546.jpg

2. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!
    Spectacular!

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  3. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

Wow Wow Wow!!! Thank you!

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Beautiful. (But I wouldn't want to be the one to dust up there. :eek:)

lauragarnet likes this.
  5. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

I might just hermetically seal the room and eat in the kitchen. And I sure as heck wouldn't let my ol' man in there. Talk about El Toro in a china shop.

6. TallCakes

thank you : ) it doesn't get cleaned as often as it should. but I just take the stands down in sections, and then clean and reset...

and TOG: I think most consider reuse of molds my a third party as reproductions, whereas a reissue would be the original maker producing more pieces of a patterns at a later date removed from the initial issue. Think of Wright, Kemple and others who have purchased old molds, and reproduced patterns in colors not originally made.

7. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Lovely cake stands. Great photo's.

I only found, bought and sold one Fostoria Coin Red glass item many moons ago. It was (I think) a large compote (comport) It was one of those things were I was new to selling and learning about glass, but the price was right and the color caught my eye.

TallCakes likes this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Your cake stands are nice.

That lead glass shade.............OMG !!!!! Drool, drool.....walk into wall, fall down !!!!!

TallCakes likes this.
  9. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

My mom, an OLD time collector actually had a very few (3 or 4) pieces of the Wheeling U. S. coin pattern. She was quite proud of them.

TallCakes likes this.
  10. TallCakes

cxgirl and Mill Cove Treasures like this.
  11. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Hey, Cakesie (yes, you, Don)... what would be your most exciting, ideal, fabulous, amazing cake stand ever? Or your very favorite of your own? Or both, please?

12. TallCakes

hard to pick a single most fav... but here are some picks:
    O'Hara 'Crown Jewel' http://www.tallcakes.com/CakeStands/OHaraGlassCo/CrownJewelCrystal.aspx
    O'Hara 'Horseshoe Stem' http://www.tallcakes.com/CakeStands/OHaraGlassCo/HorseshoeStemCrystal.aspx
    Duncan 'Three Face' http://www.tallcakes.com/CakeStands/DuncanMillerGlassCo/ThreeFaceCrystalwFrostedStem.aspx
    Gillinder 'Rustic' (also have the girl in a compote) http://www.tallcakes.com/CakeStands/GillinderSons/BoyStatuetteStemCrystal.aspx
    ...and there are more, but these pop to mind first : )

13. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Wow.......... I think that horseshoe is my favorite. Once you see that, you never forget it. I would like to see pralines stacked on that thing at a Kentucky Derby party!

14. TheOLdGuy

TheOLdGuy Well-Known Member

TC, you are correct on reissue best used for a later piece from the original maker. I will have to find another word for an original mould being used by a new company. I would like to continue “repro” for something copied.

OMG on your dining room.. I always envied those who collected thimbles and didn’t need to add a room to continue collecting. BUT, your dining room display is so well coordinated that every piece is perfectly visible without appearing one bit crowded. PLUS, you have a cleaning routine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:wideyed: :shame: :joyful: :eggface:

15. TallCakes

the reissue/reproduction labels can be a bit murky at best and some folks seem to use the terms interchangeably. Then there are intentional fakes. My understanding of each is:

reissue: glass issued by the original manufacturer at a date removed from the original issuance. Reissues may be different colors or finishes not included in the original issue. Some manufacturers even added forms that were not part of the initial line as part of the reissued lines.

reproduction: glass made by other than the original manufacturer using original molds. If the original mfg had a maker's mark in the mold that mark is removed. Reproductions may also sometimes include forms not part of the original line. Reproductions can also be from new molds that are tooled to imitate the original and are typically clearly marked as a reproduction pieces: commissioned MMA by Imperial Glass and HFM by Fostoria come to mind as intentional copies of older patterns clearly marked so not to be misrepresented as forgeries.

fakes: forgeries using new molds or even original molds made with the intent to deceive by attempting to make new glass look like old glass.

some folks probably have other names and definitions as well...

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
    Jen and George likes this.
  16. TheOLdGuy

"fakes: forgeries using new molds or even original molds made with the intent to deceive by attempting to make new glass look like old glass."

Thank you. I like those definitions. Right to the point. I'll start using those. There are quite a few of the above out there. One came to my attention a few years ago that was so obvious BECAUSE it was clean, sharper detail than the original.

Have a Happy New Year.

17. TallCakes

It's also wise to be aware of (or research) differences/changes to specific lines to distinguish between original and reissues or reproductions. Another Fostoria example is their #1641 'Diamond Point Swirl' pattern: the original 1909 issue pieces contained manganese, but the reissue 1969 pieces called 'Centennial II' were made with lead crystal and the top was 'glued' to the pedestal with an adhesive that discolored with age.

http://www.tallcakes.com/CakeStands/FostoriaGlassCo/SovereignCrystalRuby.aspx

18. TheOLdGuy

Thanks again for "reissues" with obvious changes that can be considered inferior. Brought up another question you might answer. The red cake stand. You may have noticed when I previously mentioned FCG red and "yellowish" I did not attribute the 'yellowish" to Fostoria or Lancaster. That was because I forgot which was which. The red ones in your pictures show a definite yellow tint. Do you recall if the yellow factor for FCG was the original or Lancaster?

19. TallCakes

It's not unusual for red glass to display yellow highlights, especially in bright light. That is because the formulas often used for red glass required the glass pieces be reheated to develop the red color, which often resulted in incomplete development of the red. I'm not sure of the Fostoria patterns that Lancaster may have continued but it's likely that the same glass formulas would have been used.

20. TheOLdGuy

That's what I surmised, but somewhere, and it must have been in the '80s, I had some red pieces of coin glass outside in the sunlight. That's when I noticed a few having a yellow tint but others having a deeper and duller red.

My brother had recently purchased a "red' piece that was mailed to him and he called me only to advise me of the "inferior" color of the Lancaster piece. Dull was one of his adjectives. He purchased it simply to compare. Now remembering that, it also brings to mind the other colors. Lancaster's green was also lacking any radiance.

My sister had quite few blue pieces. (I think she had ALL of our mother's blue ones. :sour:) If I remember, Lancaster never did put out a blue. Our combined opinion was that Lancaster didn't even try to maintain Fostoria's color quality. I believe They didn't continue that line for more than a few years.

What did happen to all those moulds?

Draft saved Draft deleted