FOUND 2 WEIRD WORKS BY VENEZUELAN ARTIST PEPE LOPEZ

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Feb 21, 2020.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

A friend found a lot of … unusual … art in a storage unit he won at auction - he only wanted furniture for his store & sold me these very cheap.

From what I've found he was from Venezuela & moved here to Miami (where I live) 5 or 6 years ago.
    When I googled him on my phone I swear I saw that his work had been in the Museum of Modern Art but now I can't find that mention (but found some other exhibitions below)

What do I have here? the one door piece with what looks like colored sand is ok, but the 2 door, steeple shaped diorama(?) is just weird! (from what I read it probably has something to do/say about society?)
    Is it something I should send to auction?

Tell me I hit a home run!

Thanks!

https://www.mutualart.com/Artist/Pepe-Lopez/93189D6EA9CA9CB4

https://www.jcmac.art/artists/lopez-pepe/

ART PEPE LOPEZ ART A  1AA.JPG ART PEPE LOPEZ ART A  2AA.JPG ART PEPE LOPEZ ART A  3AA.JPG ART PEPE LOPEZ ART A  4AA.JPG ART PEPE LOPEZ ART A  5AA.JPG ART PEPE LOPEZ ART A  6AA.JPG ART PEPE LOPEZ ART A  6BAA.JPG ART PEPE LOPEZ ART BB  1AA.JPG ART PEPE LOPEZ ART BB  2AA.JPG ART PEPE LOPEZ ART BB  4AA.JPG

Any Jewelry and johnnycb09 like this.
  2. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'm really confused. Which one has the handwriting on back? If you clarify, I can provide you with info as to what you've got.

Debora

4. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Where does it say he moved to miami? Didnt see where it said that in the article.

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Uh-oh. Pepe López is a pretty common name. After looking at links, these pieces do not appear to be by the Venezuela artist Pepe López. A student I suspect.

Debora

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

I was gonna say as well it resembles a students project but didnt want to be the first one. After searching signatures the signatures are totally different.

7. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

They used a Nyform Norwegian troll for one of the designs. 1994, must have been pre Ebay...

8. April07

April07 Well-Known Member

Somehow I like the "altar"

9. April07

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

They are. And I would certainly think student projects.

Debora

11. journeymagazine

2nd one that opens like a book Debora

12. journeymagazine

Maybe it was his last show was in Miami?

13. journeymagazine

14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Um... Don't think so. There's nothing about the above that suggests they're the work of the Venezuelan artist Pepe López. He's a mature, accomplished artist. These appear to be the work of a student. (And the Puerto Rican flag hints that he might be American.)

The first is a retablo. The quote is religious but I can't find a Biblical match. It translates roughly as "The power that the strength of man achieves has been and will be by the work of God."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retablo

The second is labelled as a folding triptych but, if it opens as a book, it isn't really. It's entitled "Stroke and Texture" and that's stroke in the medical sense, not brush or other.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triptych

Both works are juvenil. Juvenille. From the plaque, the retablo appears to have been presented at or entered into something.

IMHO, their value is in the troll.

Debora

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    aaroncab likes this.
  15. flipper

I wondered if 25+ years could have allowed him evolve to what he may done from the past, 1966-1994. That Mixed Media example above is from 1994. Especially when I read this excerpt from an art website.

Pepe Lopez (b. 1966, Caracas) is a Venezuelan artist who lives and works in Paris. Lopez works in a variety of mediums, including painting, sculpture, tapestry, collage, photography, video and performance. He has worked on major multidisciplinary projects at institutions such as the Puffin Foundation, New York City; Sala Mendoza and Museo de Bellas Artes, both in Caracas. Lopez’s practice is deeply rooted in the foundations of Latin American abstraction, whilst his process interrogates aspects of contemporary life, such as violence, terrorism, consumerism and identity politics.
    upload_2020-2-21_19-39-1.jpeg [​IMG]

However, I agree that the art appears to be different, visually...all-in-all.

https://www.studiointernational.com/index.php/pepe-lopez-crisalida-interview-exile-venezuela

16. April07

The crucifix together with the toy plane echoes the crucified Christ of Leon Ferrari. Latin American contemporary art has its surprises. I would consult with some gallery.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  17. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Good try but... no.

Debora

18. April07

19. flipper

April07 likes this.
  20. flipper

upload_2020-2-21_19-51-48.jpeg
    Look at what came after seeing your link...Crazy. Thank you, April07. Good find.
    People are art.

Any Jewelry and April07 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted