FOUND A BOX FULL OF CLAY NETSUKE(?)

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Mar 11, 2020.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found a box full of these netsuke(?) at a local thrift store yesterday.
    Is that what these are? Are they old? Valuable?
    They are all made of a type of clay that breaks easily (4 were badly broken & worthless & I threw them away) except for a couple that appear painted.
    Any info on these would be appreciated!
    PS - Forgive last 2 photos; flash made them too bright + slightly out of focus - and they were the most unusual (especially the 2 man, man powered trench diffing machine?)! I will take & post better photos soon

COLLECTIBLE NETSUKE CLAY GROUP 1AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE NETSUKE CLAY GROUP 2AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE NETSUKE CLAY GROUP 3AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE NETSUKE CLAY GROUP 3AAA.JPG COLLECTIBLE NETSUKE CLAY GROUP 4AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE NETSUKE CLAY GROUP 5AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE NETSUKE CLAY GROUP 6AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE NETSUKE CLAY GROUP 7AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE NETSUKE CLAY GROUP 7AAA.JPG

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

I don't think they are netsuke......As I understand Netsuke, they are smaller and made to thread onto a robe belt. You might try googling "chinese mud Men" to see if you can find a match.

Msalicia, Sandra, Any Jewelry and 4 others like this.
  3. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

I agree, mud men. And very nice from what I see.

Msalicia, Sandra, Any Jewelry and 4 others like this.
  4. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

Yes, that's what they are and they are great! I have some, too. I like that they come in different sizes and how intricate they are. Fun Stuff!
    [​IMG]
    If one of them were a netsuke, it would probably look more like this...rounded and more compact...and of a material must more difficult to break!

5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

What a beautiful collection!!!! @journeymagazine, I took the liberty to tone the last two down a bit, but better images in the daylight will definitely help!!

COLLECTIBLE NETSUKE CLAY GROUP 7AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE NETSUKE CLAY GROUP 7AAA.JPG

kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Mud men yes, but not old.
    Currently available from wholesalers.

judy and kyratango like this.
  7. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Sandra, Any Jewelry, judy and 2 others like this.
  8. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Thank you all!

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted