Found a pretty Asian print - help with signature & text/title?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Aug 30, 2022.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this yesterday at my local thrift store. I thought it was nice & the colors were still bright.
    Can anyone tell me who the artist was? Or what the characters say?
    At first I thought it was of people packing up to move, but looking closer - especially of the men working at a table in top left area - it looks like they were working on scrolls maybe? and the front of the print were workers packing the finished product to take to buyers/sell?
    Also, is that bamboo around the print/inside the frame? Honeycomb like look that adds to the overall look!
    Any information would be appreciated!

ART PRINT AISAN PRINT BAMBOO MATTING 1AA.JPG ART PRINT AISAN PRINT BAMBOO MATTING 2AA.JPG ART PRINT AISAN PRINT BAMBOO MATTING 3AA.JPG ART PRINT AISAN PRINT BAMBOO MATTING 3AAA.JPG ART PRINT AISAN PRINT BAMBOO MATTING 4AA.JPG ART PRINT AISAN PRINT BAMBOO MATTING 4AAA.JPG ART PRINT AISAN PRINT BAMBOO MATTING 4AAAA.JPG ART PRINT AISAN PRINT BAMBOO MATTING 9AA.JPG

judy likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

A Japanese woodblock print. The original is by Hiroshige and entitled 'Station #45'. From the paper, I suspect yours is a reproduction but someone else will have to confirm/not. The matting looks like grasscloth. Likely late 1960s/early 1970s when such things were popular decorative items.

By way, don't remember who but... Someone here alerted us to this invaluable resource for identifying Japanese woodblock prints. You might want to bookmark the site.

https://ukiyo-e.org

Debora

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Ditto.
    It isn't bamboo, but made to look like bamboo. They used to make frames like that for Chinese and Japanese art.

kyratango, NewEngland and Lucille.b like this.
  4. journeymagazine

Will do - thank you

Debora likes this.
  5. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Thanks, Debora...obviously a valuable link!

kyratango and Debora like this.
  6. journeymagazine

A guy saw my estate sale post on FB or craigslist - (WIFE WANTS THE HOUSE BACK!) and came by today with his mom on video chat on his phone (she was at work) and he/they ended up spending $860 on art for their new house; so when she commented on the phone how nice the print was I gave it to her son to give to her!

BoudiccaJones and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted