Featured Found a signed Grateful Dead poster at thrift store today - who signed it?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Mar 11, 2021.

1. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

I can see that darker set of signatures fade away in the yellow. I expect that to be part of the printed poster, and I expect you will see the printing dots within those signatures.

Example of the printing dots...
    Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 2.27.11 PM.png

Take magnifier and look at both sets of signatures. Look at the dots that make-up the printed poster. Do the dots continue through one or both sets of signatures?

I have overlaid both signatures (below) and the proportions are so close that I will guess neither set is penned by hand on the poster.
    Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 2.49.20 PM.png
    Let us know what you see.
    I don't know what to make of it if both sets are printed.

James.

Figtree3, Lucille.b and smallaxe like this.
  2. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

The 2md pair of signatures look like signed in plate too??

ART POSTER GRATEFUL DEAD LARGE POSTER 3DAA (2).JPG

3. TT Antique

TT Antique Well-Known Member

Whether signed on plate or not when it comes to posters unlike traditional art print quality criteria the term "original" should be interpreted differently.Ofcourse if a poster is an original print from the artist (in the traditional sense) and if it is signed after the print is made it could be considered to have a higher importance because it is also a traditionally "original" art print besides being a poster.But if a poster is produced initially in a certain photo based reproduction process and the signature is part of that process having being signed on the plate,as I understand it, in the lingo of the poster world it is "original". The term "original" in the poster sense is the initial first appearance of that poster irrespective of other print attributes. Hence if you are sure this poster was produced initially the way it appears now you have an original poster. Value or price depends on rarity and whether it is desired or collected by many or not.

TTA

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  4. journeymagazine

No one has been able to find another - except for the skeleton & that was on a t shirt?

5. TT Antique

TT Antique Well-Known Member

Maybe you could try to contact some auction houses that specialize in poster and ephemera , to see what they say as a sort of pre-screening.
    TTA

6. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious but... I thought art dot com did print-on-demand? Maybe there isn't another because when that design was offered, no one else ordered a print of it?

7. journeymagazine

I thought they made copies of other posters?
    I also thought they'd framed it only - but I will email them with photos and ask them.
    Thanks!

bluumz likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted