Found a signed Purvis Young Atlanta Olympics poster + a painting signed Armand - is it Armand Arman?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Sep 28, 2023.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Went to a local thrift store early today and found a couple of nice pieces of art being unloaded - the first being a 1996 Atlanta Coca cola Olympics poster (it was the small coke logo near the bottom that made me take a closer look; and realize it was a poster from the Atlanta Olympics - (which I and probably every adult American remembers it was where a bomb was exploded & a security guard wrongly accused of it) - and it wasn't until the light hit it right that I saw it was hand signed by the artist Purvis Young! (he was from Miami like me & is well known here).

The 2nd one was a primitive(?) painting that is signed Armand, but googling Armand artist painting turned up a lot of Armand Arman - is this the same artist? If not does anyone know who the artist Armand is?

Thanks for any help!
    PS - I also got about 75 old jazz albums for $1 each; can't wait to go through them!

ART POSTER PURVIS YOUNG ATLANTA OLYMPICS POSTER SIGNED 1AA.jpg ART POSTER PURVIS YOUNG ATLANTA OLYMPICS POSTER SIGNED 3AA.jpg ART POSTER PURVIS YOUNG ATLANTA OLYMPICS POSTER SIGNED 4AA.jpg ART POSTER PURVIS YOUNG ATLANTA OLYMPICS POSTER SIGNED 5AA.jpg

ART PAINTING ARMAND 2AAA.jpg ART PAINTING ARMAND 4AA.jpg
    ART PAINTING ARMAND 6AA.jpg ART PAINTING ARMAND 7AA.jpg ART PAINTING ARMAND 7BAA.jpg

mirana likes this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The Altanta stuff is coming up now, at least the pieces not produced in the thousands.

3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

@journeymagazine Here is information about the exhibition for which this poster was made:
    https://www.soulsgrowndeep.org/exhibition/souls-grown-deep-african-american-vernacular-art-south

The last sentence reads "The exhibition is a collaboration among The Atlanta Committee for the Olympic Games (ACOG) Cultural Olympiad, the Carlos Museum and the City of Atlanta Bureau of Cultural Affairs."

Maybe you found this already but just wanted to let you know. I think Coca Cola was probably a sponsor, not creator of the exhibit.

4. evelyb30

In Atlanta, they'd darned well have to be a sponsor. Their HQ is in Atlanta.

journeymagazine and mirana like this.
  5. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

You'd be hard pressed to find ATL Olympics merch without Coke's logo on it, it seems. I remember seeing it everywhere.

Figtree3 likes this.
  6. journeymagazine

LOL!!

7. journeymagazine

Thank you figtree3 - check out this Coca Cola London jacket I found at same thrift store yesterday! I posted in clothes because I can't find another with google image search.
    It has a large 86 on the back - maybe for the Olympics too?
    PS - It has a tag inside that says 'Recycled Polyester' - I didn't know you could recycle polyester!

CLOTHES JACKET COCA COLA LONDON 1AAA.jpg CLOTHES JACKET COCA COLA LONDON 2AA.jpg CLOTHES JACKET COCA COLA LONDON 3AA.jpg

Last edited: Sep 30, 2023
    Figtree3 likes this.
  8. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Definitely not Olympics without a ring logo, I would think. It would be whatever team or tournament has that 5 logo in it I suspect.

Figtree3 likes this.
  9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Since it says Coca-Cola London it probably has something to do with a British sport team or individual athlete. Somebody who wears the number 86, perhaps?

Also, I've been seeing the phrase "recycled polyester" on clothing in recent years. Don't know when it started.

journeymagazine likes this.
  10. evelyb30

5 cents is what they charged GIs for a bottle of Coke in-theater during WWII if memory serves. Maybe it's an allusion to that?

Draft saved Draft deleted