Featured Found an interesting piece

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Art4ME, Sep 15, 2021.

1. Art4ME

Art4ME New Member

Screenshot_20210915-123202_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210915-123253_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210915-123304_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210915-123249_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210915-123306_Gallery.jpg Hey guys, new to the forum. I found this piece at a thrift shop, and I was wondering:
    -How old it was
    -How much it's worth now and restored
    -Best way to restore: how to clean up the metal bits and what kind of finish you guys recommend on the wood

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2021
  2. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome.Pleasant looking. Like a TV cabinet? Not old at all.Mass produced decorative reproduction. Normally the quality of wood used is not very good on these (like stained pine) Restored? Doesn’t seem to be alot wrong with it. Just maybe a little cosmetic and touch-up work. So there won’t be a big value difference between the current state and ‘restored’. Still nice thrift store find (and at a good price I assume) There’s alot of this type of thing around (and popular) Still let’s hear what the other members say (I might be completely wrong)

Figtree3, judy, LauraGarnet02 and 2 others like this.
  3. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

JMHO. Chinese cabinet, perhaps of a marriage set.

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Art.

It is Chinese or Korean. Always attractive pieces, but many were made over the last few decades, so....
    Can we see the construction, the back?

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Interior looks relatively recent with the shelf and drawers. I agree with Boland that it was built that way.

6. Art4ME

Art4ME New Member

Screenshot_20210915-153953_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210915-153950_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210915-153946_Gallery.jpg Hey guys, my girlfriend works at the thrift store, so we actually got it free, since they couldn't figure out how to unlock it, lol.

It appears to have been re- finished; as there are some pretty noticeable drips in the coating.... also, the finish is rather cracked on the top, leading me to believe its' got some age to it... my assumption.

Any Jewelry, judy and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

yes....agree with some age....and hard wear !
    the back looks like pine....

Any Jewelry, judy and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  8. Art4ME

Art4ME New Member

Do y'all think I should refinish it?

9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

If you want to, have at! I might even sand it down and paint it that red or reddish orange color that shows up on Chinese lacquer furniture sometimes. It looks like a TV cabinet and not all that old - 1980s or so.

Art4ME likes this.
  10. Owliza

Owliza I really DO keep my tree up a bit too long...

Picture 2 - isn’t the whole thing shorter than a chair seat? I thought large jewellery box...

Agree on date. It looks like stuff (nice stuff) you could get in Chinatown herein the 80s.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  11. Any Jewelry

It could well be 1980s. Looks like someone kept it in damp conditions.

Of course it is yours to do with as you please. But I wouldn't paint it red, because you would turn it into something it isn't. Red is an auspicious colour in China, that is why it is often used on wedding armoires. But there is no indication that your cabinet is associated with weddings, besides, it is too small to be an armoire.;)
    I like the type of veneer it has, but couldn't advise you on how to repair it.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
    kyratango and Art4ME like this.
  12. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

nope. time, material, poisonous color dust etc. not worth it.
    furthermore the padlock should symbolise a fish, which is not discerible and gives it away as cheap Chinese and not Korean.

13. Francisco G Kempton

Francisco G Kempton Well-Known Member

I was reading about Veneer and it cracks like that when not properly glued to the heart of the wood. It is very hard to glue venner successfully.

14. evelyb30

On the other hand, if it's here in the USA (where dumb Americans don't know any better) we paint things that color just because it looks good. I see similar pieces in black too. Sells like hotcakes locally. This one looks more like it held a television than jewelry.

kyratango, Art4ME and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

More for crowns (several) than regular jewellery, I think.:playful:

kyratango likes this.
  16. evelyb30

Problems to have.... several crowns to find house room for. The Queen has a whole former castle/former prison for hers.

kyratango likes this.
  17. Any Jewelry

That would work for me.

18. evelyb30

I need to ask her if she wants to off-load a few! Make some space.

19. Art4ME

Art4ME New Member

Would you mind posting an example of the red you are recommending?

20. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

86CC63F8-0B66-45ED-B909-31E3BD882419.jpeg For me is like a dull or matt redish-brown almost. But overall it gives like a faded red look (gives some character) This photo is probably not very clear (bad lighting) Anyway I usually see these chinese things in this colour or similar.

Draft saved Draft deleted