Found Beautiful Mid Century Wonink Painting + 2 More I Need Help w/Signatures

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Nov 9, 2021.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found these yesterday at a thrift store - the mid century look of the Wonink caught my eye immediately! And looking him up I found he's a well known artist.
    The 2nd painting I thought was Haitian, but the signature is indistinguishable to me - can anyone make it out?
    Finally the 3rd painting has a fun, happy look to it and is a oil on board- what style would I call it?
    The artist's name looks like Payly(?) to me - is that right?
    Any help with the signatures or thoughts on the paintings would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you all!

ART PAINTING WONINK 1AA.JPG ART PAINTING WONINK 3AA.JPG ART PAINTING WONINK 4AA.JPG ART PAINTING UNKNOWN HAITIAN 1AA_A.JPG ART PAINTING UNKNOWN HAITIAN 3AA.JPG ART PAINTING UNKNOWN HAITIAN 4AA.JPG ART PAINTING PAYLY 1AA.JPG ART PAINTING PAYLY 3AA.JPG ART PAINTING PAYLY 3AAA.JPG ART PAINTING PAYLY 4AA OIL ON BOARD.JPG

mmarco102 and judy like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I wonder if the second painting is from Colombia.
    I would call it Naive, some would call it Primitive. It is charming, brings a smile to your face.
    The name looks like it could be Hungarian, with the Pá and ending in ly (can't read the rest). But the combination of timberframe houses and 'onion bulb' spires makes me wonder if the painting depicts a southern German scene.
    Hungarian names can be found throughout Europe.

3. journeymagazine

I like Naive! Thank you
    I thought the other was Haitian until I saw the straw roofs - S America makes sense but why Columbia specifically?
    Thanks again Any Jewelry!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

The clothing of the man, with the flaring shirt and the up turned brim of the hat, the houses. Not that those are only seen in Colombia, but I guess it's a start.;)

5. journeymagazine

Do you think it has any value? Especially since you can't make out the name?
    PS - I've decided I'm going to list a lot of paintings on eBay as a auction; maybe starting at $19.95 for the unknown/factory ones to see if I can put a dent in thr amount I have!

6. Any Jewelry

I have no idea, sorry.
    :playful:

7. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

Wonink as far as I can tell is not a well known artist, there are just a bunch of paintings out there. Several people have tried giving the artist a different first initial, yet none of their paintings had a initial. There is no documented biography. There is one auction result and the lot was passed at $5.00.

wiscbirddog likes this.
  8. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

The Wonink looks like a factory painting riffing on artists like Jean Jansem.

9. journeymagazine

Ah well... try try again! )I'm not great at picking paintings it appears, but I do like them - thank goodness I find them at thrift stores!)

Draft saved Draft deleted