found rug and don't know what kind it is!

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Luis123456, Oct 5, 2022.

1. Luis123456

Luis123456 New Member

This is a large rug with a "flat weave" on one side, and threads on the other. I can't find any info on this kind of rug. Posting two pics of sections of the rug front and back. This rug doesn't have fringe and the sides have a strip of cloth sewn onto them.

Attached Files:

2. Luis123456

Luis123456 New Member

Front side is below.

Attached Files:

• rug.jpg
      rug.jpg
      File size:
      88.8 KB
      Views:
  3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Just loading full size for you.......NICE looking too!!!! Hopefully help will be along! And WELCOME!!

rug.jpg

backrug.jpg

Born2it and judy like this.
  4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Welcome Luis.

It would be helpful to see the entire rug, if possible, or at least the front and back of a corner so we can see the structure of the edges.

Based on what you have shown, I suspect it is a fairly recent machine-woven piece. The threads on the back are referred to as "floats", and they happen when a colored yarn is simply carried along the back until the design needs it again. While they are sometimes seen in handwoven textiles, when they are this neat and regular they suggest a machine woven fabric.

The design may be based on traditional patterns from North Africa or the Middle East. But another indication that it is a machine woven textile are the somewhat arbitrary tan colored stripes that intersect the white hooks and triangles. In a handwoven rug, the hooks and triangles would be entirely white.

It appears quite clean, with little evidence of use, which is one of the reasons I think it is newer.

Figtree3, Luis123456, judy and 2 others like this.
  5. Luis123456

Luis123456 New Member

Thanks!!! I will post a photo of the whole rug and the sides.

6. Luis123456

Luis123456 New Member

cornerrug2.jpg cornerrug.jpg

Last edited: Oct 9, 2022
    Born2it, Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  7. Luis123456

Luis123456 New Member

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  8. Luis123456

Luis123456 New Member

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  9. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Luis, please go back and select edit, and "full size" for your photos (rather than thumbnails). It will be easier for all of us to see.

I would not put a lot of faith in the attributions of the other rugs you have found. Their descriptions betray the fact that the sellers do not know what they are talking about. The one on etsy is described as "Uzbek - Aztec", which are in completely different locations. The Uzbek are in Central Asia, and the Aztecs were/are in Mexico.

The one on invaluable is described as flatwoven and with hand knotted pile, which are entirely different techniques. Flatwoven kilims do not have a knotted pile. However, I might accept their statement that rugs such as these come from Pakistan, which has a modern industry of machine woven rugs in a variety of styles.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2022
  10. Luis123456

Luis123456 New Member

Thanks, and yes, I see that there is a lot of misinformation on those sites. Number one reason I came here!! I appreciate the help.

Born2it and 2manybooks like this.
  11. Born2it

Born2it Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard! I’m afraid all I know is that it’s an attractive rug.

Draft saved Draft deleted