Fountain pen value??

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by DivasFinds, May 24, 2024.

1. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Back in the old ebay days, people used to make a living searching for items with typos in the titles. That person who found, and purchased your pen may or may not have a saved search with the Shaeffer typo to catch ones that slipped through the cracks.

kyratango, komokwa and DivasFinds like this.
  2. DivasFinds

DivasFinds Well-Known Member

There was no typo in my ebay listing however.....but interesting, not a bad strategy!!

kyratango likes this.
  3. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Your old listing, and your new one, you have it spelled Shaeffer...

4. Sdcookie2

Sdcookie2 Well-Known Member

One other thing you need to consider is the length of the pen. If the pen is 5.5" in length capped it is considered an Oversized which is important and they fetch a higher price.

Also your pen is not a Flat Top

Last edited: May 25, 2024
    komokwa, kyratango and DivasFinds like this.
  5. DivasFinds

oopsies....(**Going to recheck my Ebay listing now....**)

kyratango likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

As Lucille said before, make sure you get the spelling right: Sheaffer, not Shaeffer.;)

Edit: Kronos just corrected you as well.:D

kyratango and DivasFinds like this.
  7. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Divas-Have fun playing with your camera,I'm a techno-twit & even my pics got better !
    PS-You should be able to lighten & sharpen up the image in your camera & also when you save it to yr desktop.

8. bosko69

That happened to me the first year I did Ebay,but I didn't cancel the order (lost a ton of $). Since I'd accepted the Sniper's offer-I thought it was impossible to back out-was I NUTS ?
    Didn't know if I'd get banned,negged big or what-maybe I shouldn't have 'wimped out'...opinions ?

komokwa and DivasFinds like this.
  9. DivasFinds

I take everything w my phone and don't download to my computer.....usually phone cameras are pretty good but I don't have or use filters or editing apps or anything (other than resizing app)....if I take daytime pics w good daytime light coming in they usually come out ok, and just....the time to figure this new thing out.....although, I have been really thinking I need to "up" my photo game for all the selling I do...picture mean A LOT....!!!

kyratango likes this.
  10. DivasFinds

He left me negative feedback, which I disputed and am awaiting a ruling from ebay. I really don't care either way, I was nice and explained the situation and cancelled it quickly. Ebay won't ban you, they want your money....the worst is that the negative feedback stays on your profile, but now they have an option where you can give "your side" of the transaction under their negative feedback, so there is that. I have almost 400 positive feedbacks on there, so I'm not overly worried about one negative feedback. However, if you're new and do not have a lot of feedback I think you can have issues listing or they maybe won't let you continue listing if your neg feedback is too 'high' a percentage (?? someone correct me if I'm wrong)

kyratango likes this.
  11. bosko69

Divas-What's your opinion on 'scam buyers' re: more expensive $1000+ jewelry.
    I've heard of crooks having phony addresses or prying jewels out of a piece & then canceling a sale & wanting a refund-am I too paranoid ?
    PS-Feedback welcome from all Ebayers here.

komokwa likes this.
  12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

A $200 print of mine , recently sold at auction.......buyer never paid.

Sold a nice beaded NA bag back in the day , to an Ebay buyer in the US, close to the Canadian border , and shipped to the address which turned out to be her daughter living on the same street...... buyer claimed she never received the bag !!!
    When I informed the buyer that I would report her to Canadian Customs officers , because she liked to cross the border to visit family here..... she called me all manner of vile names.....and paid up !!

Paranoid is over the top.......but being careful and cautious with a wary eye....is a must ...then, & now !

kyratango and DivasFinds like this.
  13. DivasFinds

I fortunately have only had to deal with this one time, it was a speaker, not a super high end item....but basically the buyer waited until 1 day before the return window was to close and tried to return the item, saying the speaker was blown. Well, I had had a friend repair and test the speaker, and it was in perfect working condition when it went (and also very sus that they had it for almost a month and all of a sudden they discovered it wasn't working??!!!) In my listing I do accept returns w/in 30 days but at THE BUYERS EXPENSE....so, of course they didn't want to ship it back and the issue resolved itself.
    I don't sell higher end stuff on ebay, or any kind of jewelry so I'm no authority here....but I can understand why it's a concern. I really hate selling on ebay, I don't feel like they have the sellers interest in mind most of the time, and they buyers can use and abuse all they want without repercussion. Unfortunately you get a wider audience than a lot of other platforms, and it's the best way to find an items value (auction).

14. DivasFinds

Winner, winner....chicken dinner! I ended up selling if for $89 on Ebay....you were the closest SDCookie2

kentworld likes this.
  15. Sdcookie2

Sdcookie2 Well-Known Member

Good going

DivasFinds likes this.
  16. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

For reasons unknown, Sheaffer pens always suffer.

People spell it Shaffer, Shaeffer, Schaeffer, Scheaffer. Sheafer...the list goes on. In over 20 years of collecting pens, I've seen every possible variant.

Correct spelling is SH-EA-FF-ER.

Congratulations on the sale.

As for the Sheaffer "Lifetime", there's a whole story behind that all on its own, which eventually ended up in a court-case.

17. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

There is no such thing as "too paranoid" when it comes to eBay. It's one reason I never old any really high dollar items unless they were either costume pieces of jewelry or something I didn't know for sure myself. Running into one shyster is one too many.

DivasFinds likes this.
  18. DivasFinds

Ebay just kind of sucks for the seller, there's no way around it. BUT, it is a great way to find the value in mystery items!

19. DivasFinds

Interesting! Yes, I thinks I misspelled it about 3x LOL

Draft saved Draft deleted