Frame

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Tad, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Tad

Tad Member

Polish_20191201_124747308.jpg I found this at my grandfathers home. Any ideas about the Age? Is it worthless? There is no marks on it. Looks like its an angel at the top ant a devil at the bottom of it.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

You will need to tell us some more, Tad. Like material (looks cast iron :confused:), dimensions, and a photo of the back please.

sabre123 and judy like this.
  3. Tad

Tad Member

Its heavy, made of iron. 42x34cm
    IMG_20191201_133112.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  4. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

The casting quality is very poor and the back has what appears to be the bumps of ill-formed screw holes around the perimeter of the opening. These would have been threaded holes in the original for mounting a substrate to the back of the frame.

I would think this is all indicative of a reproduction piece, but wait for others.

judy, PortableTreasures and Tad like this.
  5. shallow_ocean_spectre

shallow_ocean_spectre fine.books' bumping squirrel

6. Tad

Tad Member

shallow_ocean_spectre likes this.
  7. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Ok, it doesn't look like a reproduction to me. I actually like it better than the Bradley and Hubbard piece.

8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I was going to say that it looks like a Victorian mirror frame. However shallow's link shows that is what it is.

I too think it is older.

Worthless? Not really. People in my area like this type of look, so maybe more of a decorative value. You would probably be able to ask more if it had the beveled mirror.
    Check the prices on some of the unfinished ones in the link shallow provided.
    Will depend on where and how you want to sell it.

I see what looks like white paint in some of the crevices. Yours may have been painted at one time.

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

reminds me of a bigger version of mine...

IMG_1643.JPG

sabre123, judy, Tad and 1 other person like this.
  10. Tad

Tad Member

Thank you for your answer, i appreciate it!

shallow_ocean_spectre and judy like this.
  11. Tad

Tad Member

I think the same, thank you

judy likes this.
  12. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

I think it's old, and I like it, but I also think someone made a negative mold from the original piece and then made these cast iron versions. This is based on the quality of the casting and the artifacts on the back that I've previously mentioned. In that regard, I still contend copy vs original work.

Tad likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted