Featured Framed cut paper

Discussion in 'Art' started by cfh, May 21, 2023.

1. cfh

cfh Well-Known Member

3C37A743-2459-496B-9E85-A7B3635DF748.jpeg 76E7AA99-1D47-4E16-A9EB-FC4BEADC0ADF.jpeg I picked up this piece at a garage/estate sale today. It reminded me of batik. I loved the sweet little birds and the blue and white. When I got it home and looked closer, I realized it was cut paper. I tried to research it, but got no where, except that it’s Chinese. What do y’all think? To me it is worth the $5 I paid for it, but do these things have any value? As always thanks!

Last edited: May 21, 2023
  2. cfh

cfh Well-Known Member

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Sure they have value. Would cost a lot more than $5 to buy new. The question is: was it hand cut or die stamped?

Searching "silhouette" might find comparables.

4. cfh

cfh Well-Known Member

was it hand cut or die stamped?

Searching "silhouette" might find comparables.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I will try that! After I posted, I had the brilliant idea of searching the forum for earlier posts about cut paper. I don’t know why I forget to search this forum sometimes. Anyways, one post said to look for scissor cuts. I was looking at my paper and the edge lines were very smooth. That makes me think die cut, instead of hand cut.

5. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

If it was die cut you would know if an identical one comes up. Might try google lens.

cfh and Figtree3 like this.
  6. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I really like this too! With its black and white colors, it's very on trend right now. To me it looks like something that would have been made and sold in the 1980s when Asian decor was all the rage. Many of them had the red "signature" on the front. It's in good condition too so I think you got a deal for $5.

cfh and Figtree3 like this.
  7. cfh

cfh Well-Known Member

Thanks. I have tried google lens several times with different key words and have found nothing.

8. cfh

cfh Well-Known Member

Thanks Ola, I think you are right on the age of the piece. The company who framed it opened in 1975. So a newer piece for sure!

Last edited: May 21, 2023
  9. cfh

cfh Well-Known Member

Thanks Ola, I think you are right on the age of the piece. The company who framed it opened in 1975. So a newer piece for sure!

10. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Also, now there are companies doing laser cut pieces!

cfh likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted