Featured Framed embroidery on silk? What age could it be?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Elen Beattie, Nov 8, 2021.

1. Elen Beattie

Elen Beattie Well-Known Member

Hello all! I know very little about embroidery, needlepoint etc so apologies in advance. I picked this little framed piece up today in a thrift store because I just couldn't bear to leave it behind (even though it is not in the best shape). I would appreciate any incite you may be able to give me on it- is it on silk would you say? Any way to tell it's age? It measures 8.6"L x 8.6"W. Thanks as always :)

Image - 2021-11-08T151323.026.jpeg Image - 2021-11-08T151318.287.jpeg Image - 2021-11-08T151311.299.jpeg Image - 2021-11-08T151302.243.jpeg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That does have charm. I especially like the homemade mat and simple frame. I'd think it was 1930s or 1940s but others may disagree. Hard to distinguish fabric from photo but a simple burn test will tell you if natural fibers or not.

Debora

Bakersgma and Elen Beattie like this.
  3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Agreed, thanks, Debora

It's a lovely embroidery piece! :joyful:

4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

From the sheen and durability of the thin weight, the black cloth looks like silk to me.
    The embroidery threads can be silk or brushed cottons..
    I would mat it and re-frame it differently, but not if you want to sell it. If you want to sell it, suggest you sell it as is. Even with that acid backing so yukky, shows it's age. js..

Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Search words: crewelwork or crewel embroidery.

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

These were done from kits. What I find poignant about yours is... It was obviously done by a talented needle woman, but one from a humble home.

Debora

7. Elen Beattie

Elen Beattie Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone, very helpful as always!

Draft saved Draft deleted