Featured Framed & Pierced Ivory Dragon Pendant w/Ojime & Barrel Clasp

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by wlwhittier, Jan 7, 2023.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

~2 3/8" tall X ~2" at its widest, ~3/16" thick, dead flat. I haven't counted the piercings, but guess at around 100. The dragon looks Chinese, to me. The 'ojime' is carved, but I cannot make any pattern out of it; the barrel clasp may not be ivory. The back side is highly polished, and could be so from long wear against a garment...or human skin. The broken area in the piercing doesn't offend me at all.

Do any of you see anything specific about the image of the dragon in the pierced frame, like a ritualistic symbol or such? Or is it simply an ornament? Does its style suggest an age? Thanks for lookin'!

9F75ED74-40C3-4242-8C88-FD55B2881E86_1_201_a.jpeg 1FE49800-239D-4F7D-9D6D-C50F43EE7460_1_201_a.jpeg 2EBB9F6B-9A09-49D6-98A4-AFE697C3D508_1_201_a.jpeg 835E53E9-BEF0-413B-913B-AFE7832D7F91_1_201_a.jpeg

KSW, bercrystal, Any Jewelry and 8 others like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

wonderful ivory carving.........

funny how the nose looks like a frog...:hilarious:

judy, wlwhittier, Bakersgma and 2 others like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

You see these a lot just as parts of a necklace, not working as ojime. I always think of them as rose beads, or floral at any rate.

KSW, Any Jewelry, judy and 4 others like this.
  4. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

I really love OP's piece. I see a man with a bulbous nose and big teeth, and I can't unsee it. ;)

Sorry OP, I'll go sit in the corner now. I really do like your piece though.

835E53E9-BEF0-413B-913B-AFE7832D7F91_1_201_a (2).jpeg

KSW, judy, Bakersgma and 1 other person like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The bead is added to sit on top of the pendant, and secure its position on the centre of the cord. It is a feature of many traditional Chinese pendant necklaces.
    It looks 1920s to me, so pre-CITES.

Different material, same idea with the bead to secure the pendant:
    [​IMG]

6. BoudiccaJones

BoudiccaJones Well-Known Member

That's fab info, thank you AJ for sharing your extensive knowledge, always given so freely xxx
    Thank you to everyone else too of course!

Bronwen, komokwa, wlwhittier and 2 others like this.
  7. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Looks a bit like a stylised fish!

Bronwen and BoudiccaJones like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

:shame::kiss:

wlwhittier and BoudiccaJones like this.
  9. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Hmmm...Dunno 'bout dat. But Dragons an' fish share scales; so you might have something there...

Draft saved Draft deleted