Featured Frank Lloyd Wright 2x signed book

Discussion in 'Books' started by journeymagazine, Apr 27, 2024.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I went to my friends thrift store to pick up a old bingo machine (professional with electrical fan to blow balls) but they started unloading a truck...and I asked him to hold the machine until Monday, because I bought enough to fill my car to the roof!
    One of the things was this book (inside a sleeve/case) by Frank Lloyd Wright that appears to be signed twice by him!
    I took a photo of each page to google & an image came up of the first one , but when I did a search of the 2nd page only some of the first page came up - none with a signature like the 2nd photo.
    Does my book have an actual Frank Lloyd Wright signature or is it signed in plate like the first one? (It doesn't seem like he'd have 2 printed signatures on back to back pages in a single book, does it?)

Thank you for any help!

20240427_105452.jpg 20240427_105522.jpg 20240427_105244.jpg 20240427_105236.jpg

stracci, Any Jewelry and pearlsnblume like this.
  2. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

The signatures are so exactly the same I would doubt they were hand done.
    And they are both placed exactly the same over the text... notice how the tail of the "y" in Lloyd intersects with the "E" in INTERACTIVE.
    Also, I believe I see a small R in circle at the base of the final "t" in each signature.

composite_17142317604739.jpg

3. journeymagazine

Just checked - there is a R in a circle - thank you. sigh lol
    I got too excited too quick!

4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Also, Wright died in 1959. This book was published in 2004.

5. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

LOL, DUH, I wasn't even thinking of that!!

2manybooks likes this.
  6. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

With signatures you can rule out things quickly if you tilt the sig to get a glare on it. Look for pooling of ink, pressure or texture change.

Autopen sigs of course are a thing, but those will all look the same and have even pressure.

But the best way is taking a jewelers loupe with you to check for printing dots. You buy enough art, you should really take one with you every day. :)

Even with a real signature, so many are worthless. I come across one or more at the thrift every month in books, but never any really valuable ones. :grumpy:

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

What you have is a facsimile signature. From the internet:

"Facsimile signatures are those that are printed or stamped into the book. The author has not actually signed the book. It's just a reproduction of the author's signature. They are often mistaken for real signatures by novice collectors — and by experienced ones, too."

Debora

8. journeymagazine

Thank you all. Good news is the books I got were only $1 each - but I did think I'd hit the jackpot when I saw signature on 2nd page!

mirana likes this.
  9. journeymagazine

This is another I got today for $1 - this signature is real, right? (I was sure it was because I thought it was addressed to someone; but looking again after missing the copyright symbol in the last book I see it is a general greeting - so it could be signed in plate & I wanted to check!)

20240427_154920.jpg 20240427_154934.jpg 20240427_154951.jpg

Figtree3 and mirana like this.
  10. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

Figtree3 and mirana like this.
  11. journeymagazine

12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

mirana and journeymagazine like this.
  13. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Yes :)

14. journeymagazine

Thanks again everyone, you are the best!

bluumz likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted