Frederick Cooper lamp, was this an old vase at one time?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Lucille.b, May 30, 2020.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Recent thrift purchase. A miracle because of recent events the store is a disaster zone, messy, unsold merch that should be pitched literally falling off shelves. Usually is quite clean and organized. Had no hopes of getting anything, but (happily) found the lamp buried under a bunch of lamp shades.

I've only found a few Frederick Cooper lamps before, this one I really like. Thinking 1960s/70s era. Would totally keep it, but honestly I don't have the perfect spot as it is sort of a "living room" lamp and I've already got lamps that I love there. Someone who gets it will probably just go for the maker's name combined with the look, but just for my own interest, do you think the Frederick Cooper company would have converted a Chinese (or similar) vase in their retail lamps? I only found one other online (expired Ebay auction, see below) with mostly this shape with the same handles but different color and pattern. That auction mentioned "lamp converted from vase", but who knows whether correct.

Maybe @verybrad would have ideas as this company was out of Chicago.

Here is mine from the thrift:

fred1.jpg
    fred5b.jpg

fred2.jpg

Here is the Frederick Cooper lamp I found online w/ similar shape but now copying the photos I see that this one does not have a round top, but more oval.

Vintage_Large_Frederick_Cooper_Asian_Vase_Lamp_with_Floral_Bird_Silk_Shade_01_xgs.jpg

Vintage_Large_Frederick_Cooper_Asian_Vase_Lamp_2with_Floral_Bird_Silk_Shade_05_kp.jpg

So would both of these have been from vases or did Fredrick Cooper just make them to look like that? I've seen FC auctions calling theirs "hand painted lamps", no idea if each of these were hand painted in some way.

As for the vase question, probably doesn't increase or decrease value, just curious.

scoutshouse likes this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Think it probably came this way. FC did not make conversion kits and I find it unlikely that someone would use FC parts to retrofit a vase.

Lucille.b and scoutshouse like this.
  3. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Thanks Brad. :) I started second guessing as the advertisement for the Frederick Cooper blue and white one said "converted from a vase", but I'm thinking since these were retail lamps unlikely. Appreciate you taking a look.

Draft saved Draft deleted