Featured French? Antique silver pendant, painted porcelain

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Ratsy Brown, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Ratsy Brown

Ratsy Brown Well-Known Member

Good, the title got your attention.
    Amongst todays goodies is a lovely little pendant/brooch. I assume french between 1850-1900? Handpainted woman in a dress, fishing... turquoise and garnets, one garnet missing sadly, also a dangler on either side is missing. Gilt on the front, almost all worn away on the back. Hallmark of some sort on the back. 70mm top to bottom.

Questions are am i right in the age and origin? Any stabs at a maker for this sort of jewellery? Also how would i go about cleaning this? Or should i leave it as it is? Many thanks

365F86E8-291F-486D-B3A2-72577D80D369.jpeg 52C9DC14-FAC4-410B-8170-E741741E832E.jpeg C032BD61-47CA-420E-85FE-B86A005775B7.jpeg 52DB2E00-B16E-467C-A092-41929DA69BDF.jpeg F31DAFF4-CF68-42EA-A29C-274F6A5E46E5.jpeg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is lovely, Ratsy, really pretty.
    It is cast, not repoussé. That makes it later.
    I don't see French marks. Did you test it for silver content, and did you test the stones?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  3. Ratsy Brown

Have not tested for silver yet, just assumed it was, will check tomorrow. I tested the garnets with my cheapie diamond tester and it had almost no reaction, so not rubies, that means garnets or glass?

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    Christmasjoy and Ratsy Brown like this.
  5. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Lovely, absolutely lovely!:joyful:

On close up pic, #3, I see enamel details in the scrolls. This kind of fired but rather soft enamel makes me think Austro Hungarian.

Any Jewelry is right, no French marks, the initials (BK/RK?) are the maker's. If French, it should be in a tiny lozenge.:bookworm:
    It seems it has been re worked, the flowers are bright as is the closure and the loop is an addition.:cyclops:
    For the era, right around 1860, IMHO.
    From the pics, stones look like rhodolite garnets and natural turquoises.:)

6. kyratango

7. Any Jewelry

I think you're right. That also makes more exact dating a bit difficult, but the general style is certainly 19th century.
    I'd expect Viennese/Austrian pieces to be hallmarked as well. Italian perhaps? Marking wasn't mandatory in Italy, still isn't.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. Ratsy Brown

Yes my diamond tester is the same as the one in that link, i think it measures thermal conductivity, but gave off almost no reading at all aginst the pink/purple stones.
    Im quite sure i see remnants of gilding on the front, i dont see the enamel though? I agree that its probably not french now though, do you think the painting can give a clue to its origin?
    I found another mark on the clasp, too rubbed to see but it would typically be where a 925 mark would be?
    15D1251C-4D15-43EB-A2E8-9D9A2259AA46.jpeg A51EFA95-AA0F-4AFC-9F47-65282F4ABF9D.jpeg

Christmasjoy, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Ah, the plot thickens. A tiny mark like that could be French. Could you clean it so we can see what it is?
    Or @kyratango do you recognize the outer shape of one of 'your' French creepy-crawlies?:hilarious: The weevil? I know there is also a mark like the bow of a ship, could this be it?

If there was almost no reading on the pink/purple stones, they could be glass. Glass isn't unusual in antique silver jewellery.
    The turquoise ones could be glass as well. I've often seen glass cabochons of different shades of turquoise set together in one piece of jewellery.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. kyratango

The weevil hallmark is in an oval or rectangular frame. Will see what appear after a cleaning of the mark!
    @Ratsy Brown use the broken end of a wooden toothpick or match to rub the mark, that will remove grime without altering the details! The enamel is obvious in your third pic! Cream and black scrolls, cream dots on black on the outer line under the flowers.
    A slightly damped in soapy water soft brush rub should clean it.

I'm pretty sure the turquoises aren't glass, they aren't all of same color and shape, same for the garnets... This is only my feeling;)

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. Ratsy Brown

Its taken 4 days but i finally remembered to buy cocktail sticks. To me its not made much of a difference, but here are the new pics:
    44F65DD4-786C-4FFE-8FA3-3FC6ADF6B7DD.jpeg 2E2DBE7A-4CB1-476D-A109-3A0008A2E98A.jpeg 19FEDCF4-6A64-40AD-9CD2-C4B370D64F02.jpeg D0CD7BBF-1685-4366-A0B2-ED1D73774197.jpeg

12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

13. Any Jewelry

Maybe @kyratango can make something of it. Otherwise you have to settle for a very pretty pendant/brooch, 19th century European.
    I don't really mind the outer dangles are missing, forgot to mention that before.

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  14. Ratsy Brown

Thanks for all your help Any Jewelry, at least the missing dangles keep it symettrical :happy:

15. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

If any help:

upload_2017-11-23_14-32-13.png
    upload_2017-11-23_14-32-38.png

16. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

On the clasp:

upload_2017-11-23_14-37-10.png
    upload_2017-11-23_14-37-34.png

17. kyratango

Uuh... sorry, I really can't id the hall mark:bored::oops:

18. Any Jewelry

:(
    In that case what remains is a very pretty pendant/brooch, 19th century European, with missing dangles for symmetry.:happy:

kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  19. kyratango

Absolutely! :):joyful:

Draft saved Draft deleted