Featured French bronze mantel clock

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by dishesonpage, Jul 9, 2019.

1. dishesonpage

dishesonpage Active Member

Can anyone tell me about this clock 979CA5BA-1132-43BE-8EF1-72719B1D7489.png 94563173-2556-4B15-A8C0-37CAF6AD60DF.png

Ghopper1924, scoutshouse and Bronwen like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

lose the glass and get us close ups of the mechanism.....and the front...and the base !

Please ! :happy:

3. dishesonpage

Ok, I need to get some better pictures. Plus I try to upload others and says file too big, not sure how to fix that.

4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Resize photos to 1 mb or less. You can e-mail them to yourself as Medium, that will resize. Save from email and upload.

5. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Looks like brass instead of bronze

6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

To start the description, gilt/ormolu figure of a putto/genius seated on the back of the winged horse Pegasus (wings are very oddly placed!) & holding a horn. It may be meant as an allegory of Fame.

7. Bronwen

Similar theme of triumph on this one:

[​IMG]

8. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

The first clock could be Restauration (sic) Period, 1820-30ish, but I think it is a little later, but probably before 1850. It would be relevant to know if it has a silk suspension.
    The odds are good that it is gilt bronze, not gilt spelter at this period.
    Always pick up glass domes like this with both hands and a plan for where to put it without tripping over a cat. They are exceedingly difficult to replace. Clocks intended to be dome covered had open dials and backs, glass dial covers and back doors were a later and far cheaper practice.

Due to the period and style this clock would be more valuable than later 19th C examples, and although the last thing I need after another cat is another clock, I would be tempted to buy it if I saw it.

9. Bronwen

10. dishesonpage

Wow I can’t believe that clock might be that old!! I’m gonna check the back, very carefully, tomorrow and see if I can get a good picture of the back

11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Looking forward to seeing further pics of your beautiful clock. And welcome to Antiquers, @dishesonpage !

scoutshouse, judy, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  12. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

The voice of experience :hilarious::hilarious:

13. dishesonpage

Should I be looking for a mark somewhere on the clock? The front just has lowercase i and then Paris

14. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

The i might be the last letter of 'Marti'. Dialls can get rubbed if the name was added after firing.
    If you remove the bell you should be able to see any maker's or other marks. Remember to replace the bell nut thin end inward.
    See if the pendulum is hanging from a thread or a metal strip.

15. dishesonpage

Ok so I took a bunch of pictures which I will need to size down so I can post. To answer a few detailed questions that were asked: The face of the clock does not have glass over it. The pendulum is hanging by a thread. I did find a mark, although not sure what it means. It does sit on its original base, kind of looks like mahogany with some sort of inlay. Pics to follow

Ghopper1924 and scoutshouse like this.
  16. dishesonpage

17. Bronwen

Was hoping this was a clue:

[​IMG]

and briefly got excited over this:

R & C (Biographical details)
    R & C (manufacturer/factory; clockmaker/watchmaker)

Also known as
    R & C

Biography
    Clock movement manufacturers; possibly Richard & Cie of Paris. Trade mark consists of R & C flanking a caduceus. This trade mark appears on a mantel clock movement in Clocks and Watches. The mark is also recorded in Thorpe, 'The French Marble Clock', 1990, p. 259-260.
    A similar trade mark Q & R is illustrated in Tardy, Dictionnaire des Horlogers Français, 541 for Quinet & Richard.

Ghopper1924 and KSW like this.
  18. dishesonpage

what does this mean??

Ghopper1924, KSW and Bronwen like this.
  19. Bronwen

It means I hoped the caduceus on the side was some indication of maker & not just ornamentation. When Google turned up a French clockmaker who used a caduceus as their symbol, I thought I might have gotten lucky. However, I see no sign of the initials R C, so scrapped that idea.

scoutshouse and KSW like this.
  20. dishesonpage

All I can see it that J

Ghopper1924, scoutshouse and KSW like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted