Featured French c or Chinese export or Japanese export or?!

Discussion in 'Art' started by Hunter S., Nov 12, 2020.

1. Hunter S.

Hunter S. Active Member

Hello good people,

I became an owner of this beautiful black lacquer wood panel (dimensions: 33cm x 22.5cm x 0.45cm ~ 13in x 8.85in x 0.17in).

It has this beautiful drawing on one side (I am 99% sure that it is a gold paint) and on the other side it is completely black and it has some signs of age (barely visible but still visible signs - I can take a good photo of them if needed)...It has a small rip on one corner (I added a photo of that) that proves that it is wood...
    I am just guessing that at some point it had a frame (or am I wrong - maybe it just had a stand)?

My biggest problem is identification...I am confused...is this a French (or European) Chinoiserie or Chinese (Japanese) export panel...or is it rather something completely else?!

The painting has a motive of bullock cart or ox cart with the lady sitting in the back (she doesn't look Asian!?) the 'driver' on the other hand looks Asian...however I am totally confused as bullock cart decoration seem Indian (or am I wrong?!...maybe Sri Lanka?!)...but his hat seems like Vietnamese traditional one...I am totally confused...so please help.

MaybeChinoiserie1.jpg MaybeChinoiserie2.jpg MaybeChinoiserie3.jpg MaybeChinoiserie4.jpg MaybeChinoiserie5.jpg MaybeChinoiserie6.jpg

All the best to you all :joyful: and a shout-out for the best forum ever!!!:woot::woot::woot:

I cannot wait to hear your opinions...:nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
    dude, judy, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Lets see some pictures of the object itself, (edges/reverse etc) and go back and edit your post for full images not thumbnails please! OK?

3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

4. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

5. Hunter S.

Hunter S. Active Member

Sorry for entering thumbnails I thought I was suppose to do so...from now on I will only put full images :couchpotato: as "I need help" already guessed what it is, I think there is no need for additional photos...as she was spot on :woot:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  6. Hunter S.

Hunter S. Active Member

i need help, judy and kyratango like this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

she............

Any Jewelry, judy, Hunter S. and 2 others like this.
  8. Hunter S.

Hunter S. Active Member

Correction was immediately made :angelic:

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted