French Faience Tureen - Qimper? or?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Brenda M, Feb 27, 2024.

1. Brenda M

Brenda M Member

I found this piece and it appears old but they maybe fooling me. The little guy reminds me of Qimper. It says SAIGNES under his feet. Looks to be a small town in France but I could find no record of a pottery there. Maybe made for tourists? The mark on the bottom is obscured as shown. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Attached Files:

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Slightly different from the Breton costume, but I can see why he reminds you of the Quimper men.
    I think this is from further north though, the same place that copied Dutch style pottery. I can't remember the name right now, but someone else will know.

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

kentworld likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That's the place I meant, Rouen, further north from Brittany. That's where they make those copies and 'in the style of' Dutch ceramics.

kentworld and Debora like this.
  5. Brenda M

Brenda M Member

Thank you so much!

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted