French gilt chairs

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by amir fathi, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Urg. WAY too much. Never ever buy stuff in Windsor. I used to work there, the shops are tourist trap rip offs. You'd do better to look at reasonable local auctions: Tring, Bourne End, Bainbridge's.

kyratango likes this.
  2. alex webb

alex webb Well-Known Member

dear op
    they are called fauteuils à la reine [louis xv]. symmetrical rocaille style. you can search christies or bonhams and see how much real ones [1750s] and later versions [19th c.] are. search alibaba to see how much new ones are.

you got rumped on that mirror. ouchie.

try online auctions near you so can go view items. good way to get great stuff or get rich in my neck of the woods.

see if there is one near you
    https://hibid.com/map/

peace

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    kyratango and komokwa like this.
  3. amir fathi

amir fathi New Member

Dear All,

thank you all so much for your comments. I hadn’t mentioned I had not paid for these items as seller preferred payment on delivery. Following advice from most on this forum it seemed a bad deal so I contacted seller and told them I would like to reduce the price or abandon the sale altogether, the chap opted for the latter and we cancelled the purchase.

I now have a better idea and will do more research before I buy again.

I do like the fauteuils à la reine so will hunt online or in-store for more reasonably priced ones.

Thank you all again, your comments prevented me from being ripped off on this occasion. I’ll certainly come by for more advice in the near future.

Best

4. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Thank you for the update, glad you were able to cancel the sale!
    Don't hesitate to post pics of what you intend to buy to get opinions:)

komokwa likes this.
  5. Ownedbybear

That's good news and the seller behaved properly, too.

kyratango and komokwa like this.
  6. TraceyB

TraceyB Well-Known Member

Welcome Amir I am also a newbie and still learning but you will find everyone super helpful.

kyratango likes this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Strange though......that any seller.....but specially this one & specially now ...would walk away from such a nice sale on items that we've all considered so overpriced that there has to be lots of wiggle room for him to cut a deal on..???
    ;):jawdrop:--:wideyed::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

James Conrad likes this.
  8. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Perhaps the seller overpaid as well? and couldn't take less.

9. komokwa

Certainly possible............but even then........this stuff is not in high demand right now.....so...turn it back into cash !!
    Even at a minor loss....( which I wasn't suggesting...)
    No ??

James Conrad likes this.
  10. amir fathi

amir fathi New Member

Well, they were rather abrupt and wouldn’t even consider negotiating. We even asked if we could just have the mirror at original price but they refused - it was all or none.

poor attitude if you ask me so we just went with none. Absolutely, he could have had a sale but they were adamant their items were of high quality etc etc. Frankly the pair were offended and like children very petulant.

I must admit though I did really like the chairs, but I feel more strongly about being extorted.

Bakersgma and komokwa like this.
  11. komokwa

Oh, the quality looks good.....but not the dating !!!!:inpain:

If not for you....I think they are going to eat those chairs !!;)

12. Ownedbybear

We have very strong trading standards and misrepresentation laws here, that may explain some of it.

Draft saved Draft deleted