French porcelain from around 1753?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by EirikF, Sep 27, 2014.

1. EirikF

EirikF New Member

Hi,
    I have come over some french porcelain that my grandma had.
    I dont know much about it, but its French and the mark says its from around 1753. I think the mark is to good to actually be from 1753, and I know that it was produced many with the same mark later on.
    I dont know anything more about it, and it would be interesting to get some information even if its not that old.

Thanks! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

If the mounts are gilt spelter, as I suspect they may be, it's late 19th C.
    Scratch under the metal base to see if the metal shows silver. sometimes just looking at the feet will show greyish.

User 67 likes this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The color is celeste blue and, given the holes around the top, it was probably a potpourri vase. Of course the Sevres mark is one of those "most imitated". The metal mounts do look clunky to me and the style is inconsistent with the mid-18th century. JMO

User 67 likes this.
  4. User 67

User 67 Active Member

The knob alone is enough to discredit this as a
    I agree, the knob alone is enough to discredit this as 18th cent Serves. It looks like the quality of a finial made for a lampshade in the 1970s. The detail in the painted gold filigree around the frame is also, not up to snuff. That said, it is still a very nice piece, just not museum quality.

But like m.o.s said, it could be marketed as a vase for potpourri. Late 19th century Serves style Potpourri Vase.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  5. EirikF

EirikF New Member

Thanks for fast and informative answers. It was like I suspected, not from the 18th century unfortunally.
    It was my great - grandparents who bought this at an auction in France very many years ago. The story was that it was only two of this in the world, and one of them was owned by Ludvig XV. It was also said that it was made in the Vincennes factory, but as a lot of you said its probably a late 19th century potpourri vase. I think its a nice piece even if its not that old, and will keep it in the family. Thanks for the answers again! :)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
    yourturntoloveit likes this.
  6. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Just because it's not Sevres doesn't mean it's not nice stuff. They are antique (over 100 yrs. old), and look in great shape (no chips, cracks, missing parts) and they look to be hand-painted rather nicely. There's some quality there. I'd have them in my house! :)

flowerchild and yourturntoloveit like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted