Featured French Rococo Wine Glass... possibly?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by mhc4444, Mar 29, 2019.

1. mhc4444

mhc4444 Active Member

Hej.
    I'm not the strongest in antique glass, but this one seems like a good one. I was told it was french from the 1700's, but never one to take a seller on his word I though I might swing it by you clever people just to be sure. It got all the pointers I know for a good piece of old glass, but again, not my strongest side. Any help would be apreciated.
    Also, I got a ton of pictures of it but they are all too big to post aparently? It would only allow me to put that one picture in my post.. IMG_0889.JPG

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Maybe you could list the observations you have made already so we don't have to go over it again? We can't tell how it sounds when tapped, for instance. Imagine you have done this. What was the result?

3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

What capacity is it? That's often a clue. Base? Pontil? Is that a folde rim? Does it look grey or clear in light?

4. mhc4444

mhc4444 Active Member

Sure.
    The glass have a gentle ring when tapped, like a silver bell almost. Its rather thin glass, the bottom of the foot is folded in under itself. The glass have many subtle bubles and impurities, particularely in the stem and foot. The glass is not even, as in, the rim at the top is not perfect and the stem is slightly off. The engravings are rather primitively made, I do engraving myself with a diamond tipped rotation carver, and these engravings are very obviously not made this way.

5. mhc4444

mhc4444 Active Member

I'm afraid my english glass terminology is not the strongest as its not my first language, so I'm not entirely sure what you mean by pontil. But its more grey than modern glassware, a tiny bit cloudy but not much. The foot is folded in on itself if thats what you mean by folde rim?

Bronwen, scoutshouse and i need help like this.
  6. Ownedbybear

More grey usually means earlier and yes, if the foot is folded in that's a good sign. The pontil is the area on the base where the glass blower broke off the rod.

7. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

You should be able to post more than one photo. If you got an error message, maybe your phot was too large. It must be 1 mb or less.

Bronwen likes this.
  8. mhc4444

mhc4444 Active Member

Oh then yes the pontil is very visible, it havent been grinded down but seems like they padded it (?) or something, so there are no sharp angles on it

9. mhc4444

mhc4444 Active Member

I took the pictures with my camera, my phone couldn't really capture the glass properly, so almost all the pictures are close to 2 mb

10. i need help

You can resize and post them.

Bronwen and scoutshouse like this.
  11. mhc4444

mhc4444 Active Member

12. mhc4444

mhc4444 Active Member

ahh there we go, well I've never been good with computers either :joyful:

13. i need help

Very good! :)

14. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

I have no way to guess it's nationality, my loss, but it's older than 1850, possibly older than 1800.
    The pontil may have been fire polished, or touched with a hot iron rod to smooth it out.

judy, i need help and Lucille.b like this.
  15. Ownedbybear

I'd agree it may well be early 19th. It looks a bit too big for 18th. That cut looks more Bohemian than French.

Draft saved Draft deleted