French rustic pottery, Roux a ?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Jeff Drum, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Please correct if not french or not rustic. Can anyone help with the last word(s) of the signature? Besides redware, what would this type of pottery be called? Region? Both pitcher and lid are signed.
    P3242337.JPG P3242339.JPG P3242341.JPG P3242338.JPG P3242340.JPG P3242342.JPG P3242344.JPG

judy likes this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

It's Roux à something. It's like they deliberately tried to make it illegible!

Jeff Drum likes this.
  3. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

It is "Roux a dieulefit" I think.

Jeff Drum and Bronwen like this.
  4. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

Typo:
    dieulefit
    roux a Dieulefit

Bronwen, Jeff Drum and janetpjohn like this.
  5. Malcolm

Malcolm Active Member

It's very beautiful ceramic's
    Try Diouloufet Céramique on facebook

kentworld, Bronwen, Jeff Drum and 3 others like this.
  6. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

diou lou fet is Provençal dialect for Dieu le fit, which means "God has made it". a small Protestant town that gave shelter and hid away many Jewish children on their way from the south to the Swiss border. they were led by Swiss Protestant nurses that also organized a ratline form the concentration camps around Gurs up towards Switzerland.
    the ceramics is nothing special, rather simple for everyday use.

7. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

and may I add. it's funny that we had ceramics here from around Anduze some time ago; same situation, protestant and on the same ratline. both places were at the start of the silk industry that was lateron prominent in Lyon and brought up to Switzerland by the Huguenot; chemical industry started with silk dye factories.

kyratango, kentworld and Bronwen like this.
  8. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

It seems to be Roux à Diouloufet

Diouloufet Ceramics
    17 rue du Bourg, 26220 Dieulefit,
    Rhone-Alpes, France

kyratango, Bronwen and Jeff Drum like this.
  9. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Thank you, esp. Malcolm and flipper, that must be where it is from. Fairly recent apparently unless they have a longer history than it appears. Thanks!

Bronwen and Malcolm like this.
  10. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

you don't understand any French, do you ?

11. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Now, now, Fid! ;)
    Interesting history. And Diouloufet would be a regional/dialectical version of dieu le fit, eh?

Malcolm likes this.
  12. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

what I said. Provençal for Dieulefit. not my fault when people that have no knowledge whatsoever of Southern French culture start to stress "Thank you, esp. Malcolm and flipper, that must be where it is from."
    it's not "Roux à Diouloufet" but Roux à Dieulefit. I asked because it was obvious that "à" wasn't understood. ;)

kentworld likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted