French Style Nightstands

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by mark737, Mar 20, 2021.

1. mark737

mark737 Well-Known Member

Picked up a pair of these yesterday (in Texas) and wanted to see what y'all think in terms of style, period, place of origin. The style seems to be Louis XVI based on similar ones I've found online. I've included some detail photos of the hardware, dovetails, and interior construction. Let me know if any other details would be helpful. Thanks! Lou1.jpg Lou5.jpg Lou3.jpg Lou2.jpg

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Knee jerk is 1920s or so that someone did a decorative treatment on. Usually Im not a fan of painted furniture,but these are quite pretty. I could be wrong so wait for others to chime in.

Darkwing Manor likes this.
  3. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Personally I don't like the crackle paint job. I suspect it was pretty before someone decided to 'upscale' it.

Tanya and anundverkaufen like this.
  4. mark737

Thanks for the replies. When I first saw them I was thinking mid to late-20th century. But with the hand-cut dovetails I figured they were probably older. @johnnycb09 , what makes you think 1920s?

5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

The dovetails look machine made,the wood doesnt look terribly aged inside,and it seems like 85% of french furniture you see is from the early 1900s!

6. mark737

Thanks. Drawer bottoms are plywood, so probably 1920s or later. Here's another shot showing the whole side of a drawer. I'm not a woodworking expert but dovetails still look hand cut to me. Lou7.jpg

7. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Yes, hand cut dovetails. A majestic little piece, like it.

mark737 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted