Friend's 19c china cabinet, marble table plus some other photos

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Lucille.b, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

A friend of a good friend has asked me to take a look at a few things she inherited from her parents. Frankly, I wasn't expecting much as it was just described as some "brown furniture" and thought I would just be telling her she could "yard sale" it.

Well, turned out there were some nice pieces, clearly her grandmother had money back in the day. I realize prices have plummeted for this kind of thing, but was curious if this 19c rounded glass, Philadelphia china cabinet held some value. (Would $400-500 be just insanely too high ?? --trying to advise.) One thing I liked about the cabinet, it was a bit on the medium-smaller size, not a massive piece. Also have a blurry photo of a marble side table, same era. Can you tell anything from the photo? ($100-200?)

Also will show photos of two more items I've already ID'd so don't need help, but just showing for interest. (E. Ingraham clock--found one sold on Ebay for $200 and Phenix, Warren Pa cedar lined bedroom set from the 50's or so.)

I know we don't do values, but please someone chime in if I'm way off on the cabinet or side table. Keywords (so I can do my own research) also appreciated. Thanks!

China cabinet.jpg Marbletable.jpg clock1a.jpg dresser1.jpg

Christmasjoy and Bakersgma like this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I sold last year a very nice marble top Victorian oval table that had a repaired leg and something else, I can't remember. When I got it was really wobbly. My husband took it all apart and re-glued the entire piece to make it more stable.

I disclosed all of this to the buyer and took $250 for it.
    Yours looks a little smaller than mine.
    Northern CA retail store.

The curved glass china cupboards don't come up very often. I'm in an area with a lot of Queen Anne cottage, Victorian style homes. I would probably price higher in order to take 5-600.

Figtree3, Christmasjoy, judy and 2 others like this.
  3. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Someone really loved, appreciated, and cared for that china cabinet if it was made in the 1800's. Is is both lovely and useful.

Christmasjoy, judy and Lucille.b like this.
  4. Lucille.b

Thank you Cluttered and Yourturn. Very helpful. Someone will love this if she winds up selling it.

Kind of a hard situation. This acquaintance, former artist, just wants to get rid of some stuff, wants help selling, but larger pieces are difficult as you know. She doesn't want CL people in her trailer, so not sure how that is going to work. Things are beautifully displayed in her place, I'm not sure what I was expecting, but the entire was drop-dead creative, beautiful. Even the plant stand was a German stereo she had shipped in the 60's or something. Everywhere you turned there was something cool. She used to trade her art with other artists (this would have been in the 60s-80s.) She has an incredible eye. She is thinking of just downsizing a bit as she might move to an apartment.

I think best I can do is just to give her some ballpark numbers. I do know one local place that would take consignments, but that will involve work of getting the things there.

5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Some very nice pieces there. The turtles are nice. Is that mosaic tile on some? Anyway, good luck with your undertaking.

Christmasjoy, judy and Lucille.b like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that's a sweet bedroom set....

Christmasjoy and Lucille.b like this.
  7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Love the china cabinet! And that clock - Wow!

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I think the table is 1860-something. The cabinet is a lot later; @verybrad will probably be along later but I'm thinking circa 1900. It's oak, but not Arts and Crafts oak.

9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

As we always say, value is really based on market where selling and the venue.

Curved glass late Victorian china cabinets have lost their appeal here in The Midwest. Last one we had in the store sold for under $300.00. This one is very nice so you might be able to get more …. depending on market. Circa 1900 is spot on for a date.

The parlor table is circa 1870 Renaissance Revival piece. Seems a little on the small side which may be of more appeal to some, though not translating to higher value. That said, any marble top table from this era ought to be worth a couple hundred in any decent retail market.

10. Lucille.b

Thank you Brad, and everyone who took a look. Very helpful. :)

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  11. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

What are CL people ? does it mean some kind of tradesperson .. Thanks .. Joy.

Lucille.b likes this.
  12. i need help

I’m guessing Craigslist.

13. Christmasjoy

Thank you I need help :) Joy.

i need help likes this.
  14. i need help

Anytime!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  15. Christmasjoy

I LOVE that china cabinet .. beautiful !!! Joy.

i need help likes this.
  16. Lucille.b

Sorry about that confusion, Joy. I hate when people use abbreviations I have no idea what they are talking about. Lesson learned, there I am doing it too! Apologies. :)

17. Christmasjoy

It's okay Lucille .. I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes these days, thank you for your kind reply :) .. Joy.

Draft saved Draft deleted