Featured Friends...pretty little hexagonal morocco covered box with brass

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by BoudiccaJones, Mar 26, 2022.

1. BoudiccaJones

BoudiccaJones Well-Known Member

Hello everyone xx

I have this little gorgeous hexagonal box which is covered with some sort of leather-type stuff. (Thought it may have been morocco but I am as ever clueless.) It has a reddish tinge.

Does anyone know how old it is,and maybe what is was made for?
    (Or is it just a box?)
    I think the bits on it are made of brass...are some of them are vaguely fleur de lys-ish?
    It's only small, two and a half inches down (7 cms) and three and a half inches across the top (9 cms)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Got loads of other pics if required xxx

Thank you friends xx

komokwa, kyratango and judy like this.
  2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I don't recognize the motifs from the little I saw of Morocco recently, but I did see a lot of leather and brass work and small leather covered boxes. The French started their conquest of Morocco in 1907 and made Morocco a "protectorate" in 1912. They were there until 1937. French architecture mixed with Arabic is the dominant style I saw in the main cities, and French is one of two main languages in Morocco. So vaguely French would fit. Can't help otherwise. :)

komokwa and BoudiccaJones like this.
  3. BoudiccaJones

Thank you Kiko xx

Is that leather stuff that's sometimes on older books actually from Morocco? Off to google xx

komokwa and ulilwitch like this.
  4. KikoBlueEyes

Here is a picture of a leather tannery in Fes, Morocco. There were tanneries in other cities as well, big and small.

275792985_7179708928769357_5399522155296155665_n.jpg

5. BoudiccaJones

Wow Kiko that IS something! Did you see this when you were there the other day? Thank you for showing me <3

komokwa, ulilwitch and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  6. KikoBlueEyes

Yes. We toured a number of cities and saw amongst other things various Moroccan crafts such as the production of Argan Oil, mosaic tile creation, bathroom sinks, tables etc created from massive fossil beds, leather tanneries, inlaid wood boxes - I could go on. They make some beautiful stuff, no antiques places were visited though.

komokwa, ulilwitch and BoudiccaJones like this.
  7. BoudiccaJones

Oh my. I think you had enough goin' on without any antique places! Sounds like a wonderful trip,Kiko xx

Last edited: Mar 26, 2022
    komokwa, ulilwitch and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I lived near a tannery for a thankfully short time. They reek.

KikoBlueEyes and BoudiccaJones like this.
  9. BoudiccaJones

Can utterly imagine. EEKK

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I don't want to. I know what tanneries used to use! (phew) There's a reason leather-working was one of the lowest jobs on the "class" scale.

BoudiccaJones and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  11. KikoBlueEyes

You're right. The odor was most foul.

BoudiccaJones likes this.
  12. KikoBlueEyes

I just got a broad idea by the smell. We saw a lot of people doing various hand work.

BoudiccaJones likes this.
  13. evelyb30

At that it's not as bad as it used to be. One of the main ingredients was human pee, back when.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  14. Renee Yancy

Renee Yancy Active Member

Tanneries are bad but woad villages might have been even worse. The production of woad caused an odor described as something like cat urine and rotten cabbage mixed with feces. It was nauseating. So nauseating, in fact, that Queen Elizabeth I issued a proclamation in 1585 that forbade the production of woad within four miles of a market town and five miles from any of the Queen’s residences!

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  15. evelyb30

The Queen was no dummy ... and had a decent sense of smell!

KikoBlueEyes and Renee Yancy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted