Featured Fun costume jewelry find, a few questions

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Lucille.b, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Was at a large thrift that never puts jewelry out. They have a case with jumbled trays of tangled new necklaces, almost like they don't even want interest because someone has to be called to open the case to see things, place is understaffed. For the last several years, word is that they send everything signed at all online-- even Avon, Monet. On a good day you might see a signed vintage rhinestone piece missing several key stones, that's about it. So I usually just take a casual glance at the jewelry case and keep walking. If you see someone straightening the jewelry up, and that might be the only time to even pause, just in case they have some new unsigned item they missed. But honestly it's been years since even that has yielded anything of interest. Also they seem understaffed lately, and so the case always looks the same, a total mess, nothing new.

Was in the other day (odd time -dinner hour, usually everything is picked clean by then) and happen to spot a piece of costume among the tangled mess. What the heck? I grab someone to show me the tray, and it gets better! (All pins, $1.69) My lucky day or something!

So a bit of a show and tell, also had a question or two.

jewel3.jpg jewel4.jpg

The cow pin (ceramic) is from a company "Jewelry 10" -- Cynthia Chuang. Just went on instinct with that one as some of these 90's and newer type pins can be worth $. Turns out "Jewelry 10" has a good fan base.

Even one of those double (duet?) dress clip things on the bottom right.

Wondering about the unsigned pin on the left. Super construction, wondered if maybe Schreiner, but doesn't seem quite up to that maker, ..or?? It is a heavier piece. Definitely costume, but in the hand, probably the best quality of the group here:

jewel4b.jpg

jewel5.jpg jewel6.jpg jewel7.jpg
    Any thoughts on maker of the flower? Even wondered if there might have been some kind of flat panel signature plate that popped off the back of the flat section.

Last question: This reverse carved lucite bangle. I'm thinking newer (90's or so) and maybe French? It has a distinctive overlap to it, this has a tiny bit of give, and allows for the bracelet to be stretched over your wrist. Lea Stein or similar?

jewel8.jpg jewel8b.jpg jewel9.jpg

Thanks for taking a look.

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Lucille, that brooch lower right, does it come apart? It looks like a parure, like it could be made into two dress clips. See if the pin unscrews and the two halves click open.

3. Lucille.b

Yes, it's one of those "duet" type things if I have the name right. Two clips that can be worn separately as dress clips, or as a solid brooch. Definitely costume, though. (Not fine jewelry like the one that was posted here with the sapphires a month or so ago.)

4. Any Jewelry

But it is pretty, and Art Deco. Did it come with the prongs?

5. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

Lovely lot. I love the reverse carved lucite and the regency pin.

I've never seen a reverse carved bangle like that before, where it can be stretched to fit different size wrists.

Sorry I don't have any thoughts to contribute on the unnamed items.

6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Have seen Cynthia Chuang many times at higher end crafts shows. She was known more for her whimsical animal decorative mini-sculptures in earlier years, but looks like she has gone commercial with jewelry10. The cow is simple compared to some of her work. Always loved to look, never bought, good find.

7. Bronwen

Think 'Duette' was originally something trademarked, or would be now, that became generic for any of these.

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That reverse-carved bracelet is a score! I don't know if it's worth a lot, but I'd have pounced on it too.

9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Yup, Duette was originally created as a concept by Cartier in 1927, Coro trademarked the name in the US later.

It's not a Lea Stein bangle: she doesn't do reverse carved. I have a similar celluloid one like that which suits different wrists. Mine is 1930s, I think that one is jsut post war.

The flower brooch is a Boucher copy. I've got some with that embossed back, never have worked out who made them.

Nice finds.

10. Lucille.b

Thanks everyone. Just a fun unexpected windfall at an normally dry location. Cheap thrills in other words. Love finding signed costume... :)

I too, favor the Regency. It has the matching earrings (I believe...) Sold in this group and many of the rhinestones match, but earrings unsigned, but thinking it was part of the same original Regency set. The brooch has a fun look.

The bracelet just seems newer than the old vintage reverse carved I've had before, which made me think 90's. A bit lighter in weight and more narrow is the main feature, so agree post war (maybe even just a few decades ago).

Yes, that pin Boucher-like, or sister company. It is a solid piece chunky piece, even the construction of the pin back is really solid, well done.

I had never heard of Cynthia Chuang/Jewelry 10. But seems to sell okay on Ebay. Sounds like her independent pieces go for even more.

Not sure what you mean by prongs -- here is a photo, maybe will answer that, plus brings me to my final question. If you lift the clip on the left sided one, you can just pull it out as shown:

open1.jpg

But wasn't sure how to remove the pin on the right. If I pull gently to the right with the clip lifted, not much happens. Should I just apply more force?

open2.jpg

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It ought to just slide off. If it doesn't I wouldn't force it.

12. Bronwen

Agree, don't yank. Will it wiggle at all? I'd probably try a combination of jiggling while gently pulling. And probably you already have. Really hard to tell from photo, but see some possibility the lower clip hinge is getting hung up on part of the frame. Maybe just needs to be coaxed.

13. Any Jewelry

Sorry, my flu head again.:banghead::banghead: Prongs are on fur clips. Yes, those are the clips I should have asked about. Very nice that it is still in one piece, or two, really. (Three, if you count the brooch construction.:confused:)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    yourturntoloveit and judy like this.
  14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Try a dab of WD40 on a Qtip, that may well shift it. They get locked on, those, if they've not been undone for a while.

yourturntoloveit and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted