Furniture with two manufacturers labels?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Matthew McCool, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Matthew McCool

Matthew McCool New Member

I joined to see if anyone has any information or could lead me on the right path.

I'm going to try and post a picture.

I have a hutch that was purchased by my great great grandfather, he was a wood worker and built a top piece for it. The tag on the back says skinner and steenman, but inside the drawer on the front says the charak furniture company.

Now skinner and steenman were in Michigan and the charak were in Boston. My family is from Boston. So we believe he might have worked there fixed it up and redid parts and it got re tagged as the chakar furniture.

Any ideas?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    i need help likes this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Matthew McCool likes this.
  3. Matthew McCool

4. i need help

19BF098D-F3C6-46EB-ACD6-23F1FEABF862.jpeg 966F3ED9-785E-45C3-B71D-059D5B93BAC0.jpeg CF4F77A8-A898-4876-A6F5-7B6BEE56EDF6.jpeg F5F4D7F7-1264-4565-AAD2-1B839B08E172.jpeg
    People don’t always like to click links. I resized for you.

komokwa and Matthew McCool like this.
  5. Matthew McCool

komokwa likes this.
  6. i need help

No problem, Furniture Folks will be along. :)

Matthew McCool likes this.
  7. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Matthew, your explanation seems feasible. So....you know it's a "marriage," the bottom part was an oak dresser ca. 1900-1910, the top part built by your great grandfather later in the 20th century and put a Charak tag on it, for whatever reason.

Makes sense.

i need help likes this.
  8. Matthew McCool

We know he was a cooper and worked doing woodworking at a bunch of places. Just very odd.

Also the bottom is a buffet, or side board whatever they called them back then

i need help likes this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Skinner and Steenman. 1898-1905.

Debora

i need help likes this.
  10. Matthew McCool

So talked to some relatives, he bought the bottom piece in Boston, he did not work for charak. He did build the top. So im back to confused about why charak would have done work to it and then put there name on it.

11. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I am confused. Are the tags on the same piece or is one on the top and the other the bottom? If both on the bottom, one may have been the maker and the other the retailer.

In searching further, I see that both were furniture makers. Your piece very much fits the work of Skinner and Steenman. It does not match up with Charak, which made 18th century reproduction furniture.

12. Matthew McCool

Both on the bottom, the paper tag under lacquer on the back and the charak metal tag nailed into the drawer. From my research charak was a furniture builder but did custom stuff it seems like only. It's pretty crazy.

Draft saved Draft deleted