GARAGE SALE FIND ANTIQUE BANJO - WHO MADE IT?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Mar 24, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Hi all, I found this at a garage sale today. It had a $150 price tag on it but ater I told the woman there that id had no name or makers mark & I couldn't tell if it was a good banjo or a made in China one, she agreed to sell it to me for $80.
    Did I do good?
    Can anyone tell who made it - or maybe where it's from?
    Thanks, I appreciate any help.
    AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY BANJO 1AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY BANJO 2AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY BANJO 3AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY BANJO 4AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY BANJO 5AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY BANJO 6AA.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Is that writing on the bottom front? What does it say?

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Hahaha!!!!!!
    Sniped by AJ !!!!

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Great minds.:D

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's been around a while, but whether it's a good banjo or a bad banjo I haven't a clue. Some would say that's based on how it sounds. Others would say there's no such thing as a good banjo. :p

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  8. QuincyAK10

QuincyAK10 Well-Known Member

It has a 1940's feel to it. I believe it is missing the 5th string tuner ( you can see the bridge has spots for 5 strings but only 4 on banjo) and one inlay on headstock. Harmony/Chicago made banjos with square inlays on fret board. I couldn't find a similar banjo with same inlays on line. With an open back and limited inlay it looks to be an entry level banjo. Having said that with its age I believe it was a good buy...especially if you will play it.
    The one thing I didn't quite understand is in the bottom back view, it seems like six of the bottom bracket shoes (Mechanisms to hold head on) seem very long

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    Any Jewelry and Christmasjoy like this.
  9. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

see picture for possible 5th string location.
    AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY BANJO 4AA[1].jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  10. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

The 5th string goes to a key on the side of the neck (key is missing). The long bracket shoes? are because they are not hooked to banjo skin? I wasn't sure how to do it so I left it as is.
    I found BanjoHangout.com and posted a pic - 1st reply said it was turn of the century & American made?
    Thanks all

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  11. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

As others have indicated, it is an older banjo, not of real high quality (Harmony was mentioned, a US maker of beginner-quality instruments, and that would be one possibility, but there were so many companies that it could be pretty hard to pin down.) You might try posting in a banjo forum...oh, you did. I'd go with American, maybe 1910-1930, or 1920-1940, somewhere around there. By the 1920s, 5-strings were being largely supplanted by 4-string banjos, and the 5-string didn't come back into vogue until somewhat later, though at most times there were some of each being made.
    The four remaining tuners are friction-type, not geared, another indication of a lower-quality instrument. As noted, the fifth-string tuner is missing, and some of the brackets are loose.
    Banjos are much more mechanical than most instruments, and can be repaired or adjusted with wrench and screwdriver, unlike most instruments. If you note the attachment method of the brackets that are still attached, you should be able to reattach the loose ones. There could be missing parts, nuts, and such, but those are fairly easy to source, like the missing tuner.
    The name on the head would be the brand-name of the head, and wouldn't shed any light on the maker.
    Having around 30 brackets indicates a somewhat better instrument, towards the upper end of entry-level; I've seen older Harmony banjos that only had 6-8 brackets.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    Any Jewelry, QuincyAK10 and Figtree3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted