Featured Garage Sale Find - Antique Carved Wood Horse Pul Toy Real Antique or Chinese Made to Look Antique?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, May 28, 2020.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this over the week end at a garage sale - at first I almost passed it over thinking it was a made to look old piece - until I saw the horse's mouth & the eye socket carvings! They made me think this might actually be a hand carved antique pull toy.
    Also the stirrups (last photo - sorry the pic got cut in half somehow) look like a pair of old, handmade stirrups.
    Can anyone tell me what I have?
    Thank you!

COLLECTIBLE HORSE PULL TOY CARVED 1AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE HORSE PULL TOY CARVED 2AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE HORSE PULL TOY CARVED 2AAA.JPG COLLECTIBLE HORSE PULL TOY CARVED 2ABA.JPG COLLECTIBLE HORSE PULL TOY CARVED 2BBA.JPG COLLECTIBLE HORSE PULL TOY CARVED 3AAA.JPG COLLECTIBLE HORSE PULL TOY CARVED 5AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE HORSE PULL TOY CARVED 6AA.JPG

scoutshouse, Bronwen and pearlsnblume like this.
  2. journeymagazine

PS - It measures 10" long x 14" tall

scoutshouse and pearlsnblume like this.
  3. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Skeptical of age on this, looks like it could be made to look old - that degree of rustiness combined with "dirty" but well preserved painted wood -- could this be a decorative import from India perhaps?

scoutshouse and Lucille.b like this.
  4. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

All I see is something that was purposely dirtied and scuffed up. No real wear and tear.

scoutshouse and Lucille.b like this.
  5. journeymagazine

I found it in the garage of the house having the sale - but I wouldn't disagree if it's newer not older; just those eyes & that mouth made me think it may be homemade folk art or something similar?

scoutshouse likes this.
  6. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

A recent-ish Asian import, I'm afraid. They're not uncommon.

Debora

kyratango, scoutshouse and Lucille.b like this.
  8. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Not antique.............:(

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I say this all the time but... The older something is the more finely made it likely is.

Debora

ee9c407d806a93fc9be0f4c873bb6adf--pinto-horses-wooden-horse.jpg

lloyd249, KSW and kyratango like this.
  10. journeymagazine

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That said... There is a market for these types of Asian imports... or they wouldn't be made.

Debora

all_fakes likes this.
  12. R Ewing

R Ewing EclecticMomsAttic

Still might fetch a nice price. I bought an older reproduction of a folk art "Abe Lincoln" wood carving with moving arms, it had a sticker "Made in Philippines" and it sold for $51. I was surprised. It was about 12" high.

13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Sounds like a reproduction whirligig. Abraham Lincoln is a popular subject.

Debora

aff8447fe3cc4081803d1a20b7ce8bed--weather-vanes-abraham-lincoln.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted