Featured Gargoyle identification

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by NewEngland, Jan 13, 2019.

1. NewEngland

NewEngland Well-Known Member

This cute fellow has a signature, but it's hard to read. M C Maron ? He is solid and has a metal loop hanger on the back. Does he look familiar to anyone? chalkwaregargoyleA.JPG chalkwaregargoyle.JPG chalkwaregargoyleb.JPG chalkwaregargoyled.JPG chalkwaregargoyleh.JPG He measures about 5" high, 4" wide and 4.5" deep. He's vintage, maybe antique? I love his face. Thanks

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It reminds me of the Mystics from "The Dark Crystal". But it is something else, maybe from another movie?
    It is not a gargoyle, btw. A gargoyle has an opening or spout in its mouth to drain water from a roof:
    [​IMG]

Mystic from The Dark Crystal:
    [​IMG]

3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

It was driving me nuts trying to think of a movie this reminded me of ! Thank you ANY !

4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

It makes me think of Notre Dame Cathedral, where not everything referred to as a gargoyle is a downspout.

[​IMG]

5. Any Jewelry

Notre Dame attracts some strange visitors.:playful:

6. NewEngland

NewEngland Well-Known Member

gargoyle-on-strasbourg-cathedral-alsace-france-F4CCRF.jpg I found this image of a similar 'gargoyle' on a cathedral in Strasbourg. Same beak and cute little ears. Looks to be made of iron.

7. Illielee

Illielee Well-Known Member

Ever figure it out? have one too. Screen Shot 2023-07-03 at 6.00.44 PM.jpg

Figtree3, ulilwitch, Boland and 5 others like this.
  8. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

9. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

I believe the signature is McMahon.

Figtree3 and NewEngland like this.
  10. Illielee

Illielee Well-Known Member

11. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I love the odd, grotesque, bizarre, what have you, but man this piece creeps me out!!!

ulilwitch likes this.
  12. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

This just makes me feel sad, like the poor thing gave up on life, was murdered and his head was mounted. Where was he from? Did the earthlings give him a chance?

Any Jewelry likes this.
  13. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

They just Grendel’d him. There may be one of the species left in a traveling circus somewhere. The trailer you can see him in for a penny says “Duck Faced Boy” on the side in large letters maybe. Sad fate, but man they were ugly.

Any Jewelry and ulilwitch like this.
  14. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Having recently done a bit of research on the subject, I just thought I’d mention my agreement that it is not a gargoyle. As already stated, a gargoyle has an opening or spout from which water emerges. Gargoyles gargle. If it is simply an odd figure, like yours, it is called a grotesque.

15. Any Jewelry

Earthlings are a cruel species, best avoid them if you can.:eek:

ulilwitch likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted