GB Mark on Pottery Dish with Grotesque Figure Walter? Italy?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by drg642, May 17, 2018.

1. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

Hi, this is a small dish, about 3 x 4 inches, with what looks to me like a grotesque figure similar to some I've seen on Italian pottery. Any thoughts as to origin or maker? The crown in the mark looks like the Ginori mark, but I didn't find a mark with both the GB and the crown in my searches.
    Thanks for any help. gb1.JPG
    gb2.JPG

2. Walter Del Pellegrino

Walter Del Pellegrino Well-Known Member

Not Italian. Note that crown above the initials has seven strokes representing points on the crown or rather coronet. Even the worst Italian copies of the Capodimonte and Ginori mark have only five points, like the original. Also, it is not marked “Italy” as required by Italian export laws since the 1930’s.

Figtree3 likes this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

She is a siren.

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The style is called "grotesque" and dates back to Roman times, but it had a revival in the 17-18th C.

Not to say your piece is that old. I wonder if the mark might be that of a decorator?

(Guess i shoulda read the title.)

5. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

Thank you everyone. Walter your expertise is always appreciated. Bronwen, after googling I can see she does look like a Siren. Moreotherstuff, my piece is definitely not that old.

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted