Log in or Sign up
Antiques Board
Home
Forums
>
Antique Forums
>
Antique Discussion
>
General Question about High-End Japanese Inro/Netsuke
>
Reply to Thread
Message:
<p>[QUOTE="wlwhittier, post: 13175115, member: 76316"]<b>THE NETSUKE:</b></p><p>It is signed by <i>Masatomo</i>, a late Edo period Netsuke artist, circa 1850 into the 1860’s.</p><p>The subject is very unusual; the design is called Gama Sennin. Gama is the bull frog. Rennin is the Hermit, a legendary wizard living in the mountain and capable of performing miracles.</p><p>There are many Sennin figures; this one is from Chinese Taoism. He carries Gama on his back.</p><p><br /></p><p><b>THE 4-CASE INRO:</b></p><p>The exterior design (water with tree) was done by <i>Kano Eisenin Norinobu</i>. The interior is Nashiji with Sakura Cherry blossoms, rare in Inro work.</p><p>It was made circa 1770-1780.</p><p>There are two sets of <b>Artist markings:</b></p><p>On the upper right is <i>Hogen Eisen Ga</i> (Hogen Eisen design); beneath is <i>Kakutei? Gyoku Sai</i> (Seal of Eisen’s marking).</p><p>On the lower left is the signature of <i>Kanshōsai</i>, with his Kao.</p><p><br /></p><p>Some dimensions: Netsuke is ~2" high; Inro is ~3" high, ~1 7/8" wide; Ojimi is ~1/2" diameter. Combined weight is ~54 grams.[/QUOTE]</p><p><br /></p>
[QUOTE="wlwhittier, post: 13175115, member: 76316"][B]THE NETSUKE:[/B] It is signed by [I]Masatomo[/I], a late Edo period Netsuke artist, circa 1850 into the 1860’s. The subject is very unusual; the design is called Gama Sennin. Gama is the bull frog. Rennin is the Hermit, a legendary wizard living in the mountain and capable of performing miracles. There are many Sennin figures; this one is from Chinese Taoism. He carries Gama on his back. [B]THE 4-CASE INRO:[/B] The exterior design (water with tree) was done by [I]Kano Eisenin Norinobu[/I]. The interior is Nashiji with Sakura Cherry blossoms, rare in Inro work. It was made circa 1770-1780. There are two sets of [B]Artist markings:[/B] On the upper right is [I]Hogen Eisen Ga[/I] (Hogen Eisen design); beneath is [I]Kakutei? Gyoku Sai[/I] (Seal of Eisen’s marking). On the lower left is the signature of [I]Kanshōsai[/I], with his Kao. Some dimensions: Netsuke is ~2" high; Inro is ~3" high, ~1 7/8" wide; Ojimi is ~1/2" diameter. Combined weight is ~54 grams.[/QUOTE]
Your name or email address:
Do you already have an account?
No, create an account now.
Yes, my password is:
Forgot your password?
Stay logged in
Antiques Board
Home
Forums
>
Antique Forums
>
Antique Discussion
>
General Question about High-End Japanese Inro/Netsuke
>
Home
Home
Quick Links
Search Forums
Recent Activity
Recent Posts
Forums
Forums
Quick Links
Search Forums
Recent Posts
Gallery
Gallery
Quick Links
Search Media
New Media
Members
Members
Quick Links
Notable Members
Registered Members
Current Visitors
Recent Activity
New Profile Posts
Menu
Search
Search titles only
Posted by Member:
Separate names with a comma.
Newer Than:
Search this thread only
Search this forum only
Display results as threads
Useful Searches
Recent Posts
More...