Featured Gentleman on a horse. How would you categorize this print?

Discussion in 'Art' started by SarahAR, Jan 4, 2021.

1. SarahAR

SarahAR Member

I bought this very inexpensively today on FB marketplace. It was described as an original watercolor, but my very amateur eye believes it is just an old print in a nice mat. Is this style 20210103_235050.jpg 20210103_235127.jpg considered American? British? Folk art? Is there an actual artist who created the original or more like this? Thanks.

2. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I like it!. Have you got a loupe or magnifying glass?. If it’s a print you can often see the little dots like pixels that make up the picture.

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It would be considered folk art if old. But your work has a very modern sensibility. I strongly suspect it's a modern interpretation of an older style. To have a better understanding of what you have, you will need to deframe it.

Debora

4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

At some point a person created it, I would say. It might be a print, but there are different kinds of prints. Some are considered "original" art (even if made in limited editions by the artists) and some are reproductions, reprinted by machine.

What does the back look like? To me the mat design appears to go with the picture rather well, which makes me think they started out together. I mean the picture might not have been reframed. It might be relatively new but I can't tell.

SarahAR likes this.
  5. SarahAR

SarahAR Member

The back is unremarkable. Brown paper with a foil sticker from the Franklin Picture Company - which fell off and I've since glued back on. I did a little reading on that company but I'm not sure if they actually created the prints or were just a framing service. Upon close inspection I can see what I think are very fine speckles but not pixels. I'll see if I can get a picture of them. The paper appears to be a sort of card stock. If there were a way to date Franklin company marks/stickers that would probably help age it. Looks mid century or later to me. sticker.png

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    Figtree3 and KSW like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The label tells you everything you need to know. (And it would have been helpful if you'd included a photograph of the label in your initial post.) The Franklin Picture Co. sold decorative wall art. Your piece appears to be roundabout the 1950s from the sticker.

Debora

7. SarahAR

SarahAR Member

pic1.jpg pic1.jpg pic2.jpg

Attached Files:

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. SarahAR

SarahAR Member

I had a feeling that's what this was. Thank you Debora! :)

Figtree3 likes this.
  9. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I love this picture.

Figtree3 and KSW like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted